IDG News Service - SugarCRM Inc. on Wednesday introduced Sugar Network, a bundle of software, online training and support for users of the open-source version of its customer relationship management (CRM) software. The company also officially unveiled the next release, Version 4.2, of its commercial and open-source Sugar CRM products.
Sugar Network represents the first time the company is providing full support to its open-source users, according to John Roberts, CEO of SugarCRM. Previously, the company's open-source support was incident-based, he said in a recent phone interview. Cupertino, Calif.-based SugarCRM made the announcement at the LinuxWorld conference in Boston this week.
Sugar Network includes plug-ins for Microsoft Corp.'s Outlook and Word, the messaging and word processing applications in the desktop Office suite. SugarCRM is selling Sugar Network as an annual subscription for $99 per user. Subscribers will also be able to access training modules in Sugar University, SugarCRM's planned online training environment, which is expected to appear in the summer.
The main focus of Release 4.2 is an improved plug-in for Outlook, according to Roberts. The plug-in has a new user interface and improved integration with Microsoft's messaging software so that users can manage SugarCRM from within Outlook, he said.
In February, SugarCRM and Microsoft announced plans to improve interoperability between Microsoft's Windows Server and SugarCRM's software through a technical collaboration project. As part of that deal, SugarCRM is due to release Version 4.5 of its CRM software under the Microsoft Community License. The license is part of Microsoft's Shared Source Initiative, a program for sharing source code with customers, partners and governments.
Sugar 4.5 is in "mid-development right now" and should appear in June with support for Microsoft's SQL Server database, according to Roberts.
For on-premise deployment, the firm's commercial Sugar Professional 4.2 and Sugar Enterprise 4.2 software cost from $239 and $449 per user per year, respectively. The on-demand versions of the products start from $39.95 per user per month for Sugar Professional and $74.95 per user per month for Sugar Enterprise.
Sugar Open Source 4.2 can be downloaded for free.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts