BEA unveils portal tools
It plans to fold Microsoft apps into its own portals
Computerworld - BEA Systems Inc. unveiled two tool sets today that are designed to allow users to fold Microsoft Corp. applications into BEA portals.
Its new AquaLogic Interaction SharePoint Console is a set of tools for users of Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services to discover and connect to those services within BEAs AquaLogic portals, said Shane Pearson, BEA vice president of marketing and product manager. Enterprises using SharePoint Services for collaboration and content management can continue to do so, and the BEA tool will manage that information as it is updated, he said.
This is something that provides a cost-effective alternative to people who are using Windows SharePoint Services and want to bring them into a broader set of use cases ... in an AquaLogic environment, Pearson said. The portal is a way to provide this unified way for their employees to do their day-to-day work and access their personal productivity tools and their enterprise information systems.
A typical use for the tools would be in an employee portal, if a company wanted to add access to ERP or other back-end applications to knowledge management and collaboration applications in the portal.
Today, companies need to do the integration themselves or commit to an all-Microsoft environment, Pearson said.
The console began shipping last week.
The BEA Portal .Net Application Accelerator, which is scheduled to begin shipping midyear, will allow users to incorporate .Net applications into BEAs AquaLogic Interaction or WebLogic Portal frameworks. It includes new support for ASP.Net 2.0, Visual Studio 2005 and the Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP) protocol. WSRP is a standard used by Web portals to access and display reusable Web components called portlets that are hosted on a remote server.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Mobile Expense Management--Picking up the Money on the Ground Integrating and managing mobility expenses across multiple carriers can generate savings and improve organizational decision making.
- Partners in Mobile Device Management: AirWatch & CDW When it comes to Mobile Device Management, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why CDW partners with industry...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts