BEA unveils portal tools
It plans to fold Microsoft apps into its own portals
Computerworld - BEA Systems Inc. unveiled two tool sets today that are designed to allow users to fold Microsoft Corp. applications into BEA portals.
Its new AquaLogic Interaction SharePoint Console is a set of tools for users of Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services to discover and connect to those services within BEAs AquaLogic portals, said Shane Pearson, BEA vice president of marketing and product manager. Enterprises using SharePoint Services for collaboration and content management can continue to do so, and the BEA tool will manage that information as it is updated, he said.
This is something that provides a cost-effective alternative to people who are using Windows SharePoint Services and want to bring them into a broader set of use cases ... in an AquaLogic environment, Pearson said. The portal is a way to provide this unified way for their employees to do their day-to-day work and access their personal productivity tools and their enterprise information systems.
A typical use for the tools would be in an employee portal, if a company wanted to add access to ERP or other back-end applications to knowledge management and collaboration applications in the portal.
Today, companies need to do the integration themselves or commit to an all-Microsoft environment, Pearson said.
The console began shipping last week.
The BEA Portal .Net Application Accelerator, which is scheduled to begin shipping midyear, will allow users to incorporate .Net applications into BEAs AquaLogic Interaction or WebLogic Portal frameworks. It includes new support for ASP.Net 2.0, Visual Studio 2005 and the Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP) protocol. WSRP is a standard used by Web portals to access and display reusable Web components called portlets that are hosted on a remote server.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts