BEA unveils portal tools
It plans to fold Microsoft apps into its own portals
Computerworld - BEA Systems Inc. unveiled two tool sets today that are designed to allow users to fold Microsoft Corp. applications into BEA portals.
Its new AquaLogic Interaction SharePoint Console is a set of tools for users of Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services to discover and connect to those services within BEAs AquaLogic portals, said Shane Pearson, BEA vice president of marketing and product manager. Enterprises using SharePoint Services for collaboration and content management can continue to do so, and the BEA tool will manage that information as it is updated, he said.
This is something that provides a cost-effective alternative to people who are using Windows SharePoint Services and want to bring them into a broader set of use cases ... in an AquaLogic environment, Pearson said. The portal is a way to provide this unified way for their employees to do their day-to-day work and access their personal productivity tools and their enterprise information systems.
A typical use for the tools would be in an employee portal, if a company wanted to add access to ERP or other back-end applications to knowledge management and collaboration applications in the portal.
Today, companies need to do the integration themselves or commit to an all-Microsoft environment, Pearson said.
The console began shipping last week.
The BEA Portal .Net Application Accelerator, which is scheduled to begin shipping midyear, will allow users to incorporate .Net applications into BEAs AquaLogic Interaction or WebLogic Portal frameworks. It includes new support for ASP.Net 2.0, Visual Studio 2005 and the Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP) protocol. WSRP is a standard used by Web portals to access and display reusable Web components called portlets that are hosted on a remote server.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts