BEA unveils portal tools
It plans to fold Microsoft apps into its own portals
Computerworld - BEA Systems Inc. unveiled two tool sets today that are designed to allow users to fold Microsoft Corp. applications into BEA portals.
Its new AquaLogic Interaction SharePoint Console is a set of tools for users of Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services to discover and connect to those services within BEAs AquaLogic portals, said Shane Pearson, BEA vice president of marketing and product manager. Enterprises using SharePoint Services for collaboration and content management can continue to do so, and the BEA tool will manage that information as it is updated, he said.
This is something that provides a cost-effective alternative to people who are using Windows SharePoint Services and want to bring them into a broader set of use cases ... in an AquaLogic environment, Pearson said. The portal is a way to provide this unified way for their employees to do their day-to-day work and access their personal productivity tools and their enterprise information systems.
A typical use for the tools would be in an employee portal, if a company wanted to add access to ERP or other back-end applications to knowledge management and collaboration applications in the portal.
Today, companies need to do the integration themselves or commit to an all-Microsoft environment, Pearson said.
The console began shipping last week.
The BEA Portal .Net Application Accelerator, which is scheduled to begin shipping midyear, will allow users to incorporate .Net applications into BEAs AquaLogic Interaction or WebLogic Portal frameworks. It includes new support for ASP.Net 2.0, Visual Studio 2005 and the Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP) protocol. WSRP is a standard used by Web portals to access and display reusable Web components called portlets that are hosted on a remote server.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- The Principles of the Business Data Lake The Business Data Lake is a new approach to information management, analytics and reporting that better matches the culture of business and better...
- Start with a Data Lake. End with Business Value. Pivotal Big Data Suite enables companies to store all data, accelerate processing and most importantly increase the amount of data being analyzed and...
- Store Everything. Analyze Anything, Build the Right Thing. The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information.
- How Four Citrix Customers Solved the Enterprise Mobility Challenge Managing mobile devices, data and all types of apps-Windows, datacenter, web and native mobile- through a single solution.
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts