Novell CEO opens up road map
'We believe Linux is ready for prime time,' Messman says
IDG News Service - Novell Inc. Chairman and CEO Jack Messman today kicked off the company's annual BrainShare conference in Salt Lake City, highlighting its road map and the launch of several products, including SUSE Linux Enterprise 10.
"Linux has evolved rapidly from edge computing and Web and application serving. Today Linux is ready for the data center. With the new security, virtualization and workflow-readiness features of SUSE Linux Enterprise 10, we believe Linux is ready for prime time," Messman said.
The launch comes after Novell's debut earlier this month of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 at the CeBIT trade show in Hanover, Germany.
Messman acknowledged that "additional work is needed to close the gap" on the desktop side, but he said that the open-source community is "working hard" to do that.
He also said Novell has teamed up with push wireless e-mail provider Intellisync Corp. to expand mobile support for GroupWise.
Novell launched the beta version of GroupWise Mobile Server, which facilitates push wireless access of e-mail, calendar, tasks and contact between mobile devices and the Novell GroupWise Server. Novell will incorporate this functionality into Groupwise 7. The service works for various smart phones and other mobile and handheld devices running on Symbian, Palm, Java, Brew, Sync ML and Windows Mobile, Messman said.
Novell is also enhancing its identity management and security tools to help automate user provisioning, simplify single sign-on and manage shared network resources.
Novell and its partners are focused on supporting enterprises from "the OS right up the technology stack," Messman said.
"We believe our customers' environments are heterogenous, and we must be like them so we offer a mixed-source stack, not just open-source," Messman said. "In each of these stack layers, we can support you, if not with our own solutions, with our partners."
Messman touched on the company's plans for its Open Enterprise Server. Drawing cheers from attendees, he said that Novell will extend support for NetWare.
"We will support NetWare at least through 2015," Messman said. "We will support NetWare 6.5 for as long as customers want to support it. If you want to continue to run on NetWare, I would encourage you to upgrade to 6.5."
In other news, the company has teamed with Dell Inc. to offer a new management tool for Dell PowerEdge servers running Linux. The joint offering, Novell ZENworks 7 Linux Management Dell Edition, combines Novell's ZENworks software with Dell's OpenManage tool kit so that users can configure and manage hardware and software through one central console (see "Brainshare: Dell to offer Novell ZENworks for Linux servers").
The software will be available in April.
Messman also said five new open-source companies have joined Novell's Market Start program, which allows smaller open-source vendors to use Novell's sales and marketing channels. Those companies are Alfresco Software Inc., Black Duck Software Inc., EnterpriseDB, SpikeSource Inc. and Novacoast Inc.
- Top 12 Laptop Bags for Mobile Pros
- Think Deleted Text Messages Are Gone Forever? Think Again
- 7 New Faces of the C-suite
- 5 Ways CIOs Can Rationalize Application Portfolios
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The cloud: inevitable, but not ubiquitous It's an age old question for those considering cloud: where do I start? But with all the hype surrounding the cloud, that's not...
- Integrating security with HP TippingPoint This white paper discusses the components and configuration requirements to implement an Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) for CloudSystem Enterprise.
- START small, grow tall: Why cloud now Executives and leaders look forward to the day when IT will be delivered as a pure service throughout the organization. But the reality...
- Five Cloud Security Concerns You Must Address Security for the cloud era should be information centric, built in, adaptive, and proactive. How can you respond to the new threat landscape...
- Leveraging the Cloud for Dev/Test This video discusses some of the key considerations that IT organizations should take into account when moving test and development projects to the...
- A Secure Cloud for Development and Testing Environments This video shows the benefits of hosting your development and testing environments in the Enterprise Cloud Services - Virtual Private Cloud. All Linux and Unix White Papers | Webcasts