IDG News Service - Amazon.com Inc. has launched a hosted storage service for software developers so they can access their applications' data from anywhere via the Web, the Seattle online retailer announced Tuesday.
Earlier this month, Reuters reported that Google Inc. is also planning a hosted storage service.
Google's initial product is rumored to be called GDrive online storage service, which surfaced after a blogger discovered apparent notes in a slide presentation by Google executives published on Google's site after its analysts presentation day.
Google's presentation stated the service should be able to "Store 100 percent of user data" and "house all user files, including: e-mails, web history, pictures, bookmarks, etc and make it accessible from anywhere (any device, any platform, etc)."
Amazon's service, which can be accessed at its website, carries no minimum fee and costs $0.15 per gigabyte of storage per month and $0.20 per gigabyte of transferred data.
Called S3, the service runs on top of the storage infrastructure on which Amazon runs its own Web sites and offers 99.99% availability.
A University of California science team -- among the service's first customers -- uses S3 to store and serve up 60 million images collected for a NASA experiment, while CastingWords, an audio transcription service, uses S3 to store audio files and text.
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Leave No App Behind with Software Defined Application Services F5 Software Defined Application Services (SDAS) is the next-generation model for delivering application services that enables service injection, consumption, automation, and orchestration across...
- The ADC's Role in the New Network Infrastructure Cloud computing and the BYOD trend will impact the design of future datacenters and their supporting networks. As these trends continue, application delivery...
- Three Key Principles to Accelerating Web Applications Read this article to learn more about the essential principles driving web application acceleration technologies today.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts