IDG News Service - Amazon.com Inc. has launched a hosted storage service for software developers so they can access their applications' data from anywhere via the Web, the Seattle online retailer announced Tuesday.
Earlier this month, Reuters reported that Google Inc. is also planning a hosted storage service.
Google's initial product is rumored to be called GDrive online storage service, which surfaced after a blogger discovered apparent notes in a slide presentation by Google executives published on Google's site after its analysts presentation day.
Google's presentation stated the service should be able to "Store 100 percent of user data" and "house all user files, including: e-mails, web history, pictures, bookmarks, etc and make it accessible from anywhere (any device, any platform, etc)."
Amazon's service, which can be accessed at its website, carries no minimum fee and costs $0.15 per gigabyte of storage per month and $0.20 per gigabyte of transferred data.
Called S3, the service runs on top of the storage infrastructure on which Amazon runs its own Web sites and offers 99.99% availability.
A University of California science team -- among the service's first customers -- uses S3 to store and serve up 60 million images collected for a NASA experiment, while CastingWords, an audio transcription service, uses S3 to store audio files and text.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Simpana IntelliSnap Technology Datasheet With IntelliSnap you can maximize the value of your snapshot technology while dramatically reducing management overhead and complexity.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Applications White Papers |