Seagate and Secude partner on encrypted laptop
It features full encryption of the hard drive and password management software
IDG News Service - Seagate Technology LLC and Secude IT Security GmbH are displaying a fortified laptop at CeBIT that features both full encryption of the hard drive and software for easier password management and deployment of machines, the companies said.
The laptop has Seagate's Momentus 5400 full-disk encryption hard drive, which encrypts data with minimal effect on performance, Seagate said. The drive automatically encrypts all of the data on the disk within the drive, adding an additional security layer, the company said.
The drive can also be instantly erased, and the disk initialization process has been streamlined, Seagate said.
In addition to Seagate's hard drive, the laptop has access management software called TiDoCoMi from Secude. With the software, systems administrators can manage other add-on security features, such as smart cards and biometric ID systems. TiDoCoMi also stores passwords and certificates, Seagate said.
Secude has introduced other software at CeBIT, an IT trade show in Hanover, Germany. The company released Secude Secure Notebook 7.1.1, a product that also encrypts the entire hard drive. The software also can encrypt data on external mass storage devices, Secude said.
The software can be configured to allow access only with a smart card and can accommodate certificate-based, single sign-on for Microsoft Corp. operating systems, the company said.
Secude Secure Mail Version 4.0 also is now available, Secude announced at the show. Different encryption protocols, including S/MIME, PGP Desktop and GnuPG, can be used for e-mail, Secude said. Administrators can set rules for who can read the encrypted mail, and users can contact the help desk directly through the mail application.
Secude, based in Zurich, was formed 10 years ago as a partnership between SAP AG and the Fraunhofer Institute in Darmstadt, Germany.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Best Practices for Securing Hadoop Historically, Apache Hadoop has provided limited security capabilities. To protect sensitive data being stored and analyzed in Hadoop, security architects should use a...
- Top Tips for Securing Big Data Environments: Why Big Data Doesn't Have to Mean Big Security Challenges Organizations must come to terms with the security challenges they introduce. As big data environments ingest more data, organizations will face significant risks...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!