Seagate and Secude partner on encrypted laptop
It features full encryption of the hard drive and password management software
IDG News Service - Seagate Technology LLC and Secude IT Security GmbH are displaying a fortified laptop at CeBIT that features both full encryption of the hard drive and software for easier password management and deployment of machines, the companies said.
The laptop has Seagate's Momentus 5400 full-disk encryption hard drive, which encrypts data with minimal effect on performance, Seagate said. The drive automatically encrypts all of the data on the disk within the drive, adding an additional security layer, the company said.
The drive can also be instantly erased, and the disk initialization process has been streamlined, Seagate said.
In addition to Seagate's hard drive, the laptop has access management software called TiDoCoMi from Secude. With the software, systems administrators can manage other add-on security features, such as smart cards and biometric ID systems. TiDoCoMi also stores passwords and certificates, Seagate said.
Secude has introduced other software at CeBIT, an IT trade show in Hanover, Germany. The company released Secude Secure Notebook 7.1.1, a product that also encrypts the entire hard drive. The software also can encrypt data on external mass storage devices, Secude said.
The software can be configured to allow access only with a smart card and can accommodate certificate-based, single sign-on for Microsoft Corp. operating systems, the company said.
Secude Secure Mail Version 4.0 also is now available, Secude announced at the show. Different encryption protocols, including S/MIME, PGP Desktop and GnuPG, can be used for e-mail, Secude said. Administrators can set rules for who can read the encrypted mail, and users can contact the help desk directly through the mail application.
Secude, based in Zurich, was formed 10 years ago as a partnership between SAP AG and the Fraunhofer Institute in Darmstadt, Germany.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Mitigating Security Risks at the Networks Edge This white paper provides strategies and best practices for distributed enterprises to protect their networks against vulnerabilities, threats, and malicious attacks.
- 5 Strategies for Modern Data Protection Read the five strategies for modern data protection that will not only help solve your current data management challenges but also ensure that...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!