Premier 100: Ex-Dell CIO seeks to reshape HP's IT
Randy Mott touts a strong CIO approach
Computerworld - PALM DESERT, Calif. -- The only slapstick in Hewlett Packard Co. CIO Randall Randy Motts approach to IT is the Three Stooges art on his tie. Although Mott may smile from time to time as he describes the challenges involved in consolidating his companys internal IT operations, theres nothing haphazard about his goals: to cut costs and improve operations.
Hewlett Packard Co. CIO Randall Randy Mott
Image Credit: Asa Mathat
In raw numbers, what Mott wants to do is consolidate 85 data centers down to six, as well as take 85 data marts and build one enterprise data warehouse. HP will also move to standardized configurations in its enterprise and plans to cut the number of internal IT projects it typically has under way from about 1,200 to 500.
Mott was hired just about year ago by HP to reshape its IT after having worked at Dell Inc. as that company's CIO since 2000. He also had more than two decades at Wal-Mart Stores Inc., where he was served CIO for part of that tenure. It seemed clear that Motts experience at those companies has made him a believer in strong leadership.
When you have a single company, and a single strategy, I think that you need to drive to one CIO with accountability, with responsibility and a strategy of IT, said Mott. I think you have to have one IT budget. Until July of this past year, that was not the case at HP ."
Mott said he believes in moving swiftly and is being helped by a 40% increase in capital spending at HP, bringing the budget to $2.8 billion in its current fiscal year. Although HP doesnt give exact breakouts on how it spends its capital dollars, a large part is going to IT.
Mott faces pressure thats a little different from the pressure confronting many other CIOs. HP is making its IT goals public and wants to ultimately use them as a showcase to convince customers that it can achieve similar consolidation and cost savings strategies.
One key area is to improve decision making by centralizing the data, much of which is replicated in various data marts. HP wants a single version of the truth -- consistent information to take people out of the role of gathering information and instead focus on decision making, said Mott.
Every question should lead to a decision, he said.
For extended coverage and special features from this year's Computerworld Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference:
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts