Premier 100: Ex-Dell CIO seeks to reshape HP's IT
Randy Mott touts a strong CIO approach
Computerworld - PALM DESERT, Calif. -- The only slapstick in Hewlett Packard Co. CIO Randall Randy Motts approach to IT is the Three Stooges art on his tie. Although Mott may smile from time to time as he describes the challenges involved in consolidating his companys internal IT operations, theres nothing haphazard about his goals: to cut costs and improve operations.
Hewlett Packard Co. CIO Randall Randy Mott
Image Credit: Asa Mathat
In raw numbers, what Mott wants to do is consolidate 85 data centers down to six, as well as take 85 data marts and build one enterprise data warehouse. HP will also move to standardized configurations in its enterprise and plans to cut the number of internal IT projects it typically has under way from about 1,200 to 500.
Mott was hired just about year ago by HP to reshape its IT after having worked at Dell Inc. as that company's CIO since 2000. He also had more than two decades at Wal-Mart Stores Inc., where he was served CIO for part of that tenure. It seemed clear that Motts experience at those companies has made him a believer in strong leadership.
When you have a single company, and a single strategy, I think that you need to drive to one CIO with accountability, with responsibility and a strategy of IT, said Mott. I think you have to have one IT budget. Until July of this past year, that was not the case at HP ."
Mott said he believes in moving swiftly and is being helped by a 40% increase in capital spending at HP, bringing the budget to $2.8 billion in its current fiscal year. Although HP doesnt give exact breakouts on how it spends its capital dollars, a large part is going to IT.
Mott faces pressure thats a little different from the pressure confronting many other CIOs. HP is making its IT goals public and wants to ultimately use them as a showcase to convince customers that it can achieve similar consolidation and cost savings strategies.
One key area is to improve decision making by centralizing the data, much of which is replicated in various data marts. HP wants a single version of the truth -- consistent information to take people out of the role of gathering information and instead focus on decision making, said Mott.
Every question should lead to a decision, he said.
For extended coverage and special features from this year's Computerworld Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference:
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts