HP touts ChinaGrid work
The Chinese government initiative is one of the worlds largest grid computing implementations
Computerworld - Hewlett-Packard Co. said today that it is supporting ChinaGrid, one of the worlds largest grid computing implementations.
The grid initiative by the Chinese government is designed to extend IT resources and services to thousands of researchers and the more than 290 million students in the countrys university system, HP said.
Grid computing involves pooling the power of sometimes hundreds or thousands of servers over a network to run programs more reliably and reduce the cost of maintaining data centers.
HP said it is the primary technology infrastructure provider for ChinaGrid, which runs under the direction of the China Ministry of Education. The project aims to securely share a loosely coupled infrastructure and services within and across geographic and organizational boundaries.
HP Labs has been working closely with the ChinaGrid team to develop one of the worlds most advanced grid monitoring systems, Hai Jin, chief scientist of ChinaGrid and a professor and dean of the School of Computer Science and Technology at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, said in a statement.
A team of researchers from the new HP Labs in Beijing and from various Chinese universities is currently developing monitoring, measurement, security and visualization mechanisms for ChinaGrid, according to HP. The team recently completed an advanced display wall and visualization system that showcases the ChinaGrid monitoring system, the company said. When completed, the system will be known as the ChinaGrid National Monitoring Center.
HP is a leader in grid technologies and continues to invest in research-and-development efforts to advance grid, where application services execute on shared IT resources, Meichun Hsu, director of HP Labs China, said in a statement. We are proud to play an important role in a collaborative and secure grid computing environment for this visionary undertaking by the Ministry of Education.
HP Labs researchers also are working on software agents that can be plugged into the grid system to bolster security. The team is developing an active feedback system as a service using a system based on HP OpenView Radia software and service-oriented architecture.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.