HP touts ChinaGrid work
The Chinese government initiative is one of the worlds largest grid computing implementations
Computerworld - Hewlett-Packard Co. said today that it is supporting ChinaGrid, one of the worlds largest grid computing implementations.
The grid initiative by the Chinese government is designed to extend IT resources and services to thousands of researchers and the more than 290 million students in the countrys university system, HP said.
Grid computing involves pooling the power of sometimes hundreds or thousands of servers over a network to run programs more reliably and reduce the cost of maintaining data centers.
HP said it is the primary technology infrastructure provider for ChinaGrid, which runs under the direction of the China Ministry of Education. The project aims to securely share a loosely coupled infrastructure and services within and across geographic and organizational boundaries.
HP Labs has been working closely with the ChinaGrid team to develop one of the worlds most advanced grid monitoring systems, Hai Jin, chief scientist of ChinaGrid and a professor and dean of the School of Computer Science and Technology at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, said in a statement.
A team of researchers from the new HP Labs in Beijing and from various Chinese universities is currently developing monitoring, measurement, security and visualization mechanisms for ChinaGrid, according to HP. The team recently completed an advanced display wall and visualization system that showcases the ChinaGrid monitoring system, the company said. When completed, the system will be known as the ChinaGrid National Monitoring Center.
HP is a leader in grid technologies and continues to invest in research-and-development efforts to advance grid, where application services execute on shared IT resources, Meichun Hsu, director of HP Labs China, said in a statement. We are proud to play an important role in a collaborative and secure grid computing environment for this visionary undertaking by the Ministry of Education.
HP Labs researchers also are working on software agents that can be plugged into the grid system to bolster security. The team is developing an active feedback system as a service using a system based on HP OpenView Radia software and service-oriented architecture.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...