Computerworld - RIM Pays $612.5M To Settle NTP Suit
Research In Motion Ltd. late last week agreed to pay $612.5 million to NTP Inc. to settle the long-running legal fight between the two companies. RIM said the settlement includes a perpetual, fully paid license for all NTP patents. The two companies have finalized the deal and ended all litigation. The dispute with NTP, a patent-holding company, had threatened to halt RIM's BlackBerry e-mail service.
RIM last week also warned that operating results for its fourth quarter, which ended Saturday, will fall below earlier expectations, primarily because of the uncertainty surrounding the NTP litigation. RIM estimated that it got between 70,000 and 130,000 fewer new subscribers than expected during the quarter. The company expects to report revenue of $550 million to $560 million in the quarter versus earlier estimates of $590 million to $620 million.
Intel Issues Q1 Revenue Warning
Intel Corp. has warned that its first-quarter revenue will be lower than expected. The company said sales for the three months ending March 31 will be between $8.7 billion and $9.1 million, compared with an earlier estimate of $9.1 million to $9.7 million. Intel blamed the shortfall on weak demand and a loss of market share. Analysts blamed competition from Advanced Micro Devices Inc. for the loss.
ACS Wins $200M IT Outsourcing Pact
Affiliated Computer Services Inc. has been awarded a five-year, $200 million IT outsourcing contract from MeadWestvaco Corp., a supplier of packaging products in Stamford, Conn. The contract calls for ACS to centralize and consolidate MeadWestvaco's IT infrastructure. ACS will also provide data network management, help desk, security administration and disaster recovery services.
Read more about IT Outsourcing in Computerworld's IT Outsourcing Topic Center.
- Making the Move to a Cloud-Based IT Service Management (ITSM) Platform Today's mature cloud-based ITSM solutions can give you the flexibility and agility you need-without sacrificing security, stability or performance.
- A Practical Guide to Understand and Benefit from the Consumerization of IT This guide explores the realities of IT Consumerization to define challenges and opportunities. Learn best practices and get actionable recommendations.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- The Perfect Combo: ITIL, ITSM and Social Media BMC explores how best-in-class organizations are leveraging these to drive user satisfaction and organizational success.
- Exploring Network Management Challenges and the Benefits of Outsourcing New research conducted by IDG explores the network management challenges that IT and telecom leaders face and how they are dealing with them....
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts