Impact of worm targeting Mambo CMS low, say researchers
Mare.D targets Mambo CMS and PHP XML-RPC
IDG News Service - F-Secure Corp. is warning of a network worm that targets vulnerabilities in the Mambo Content Management System (CMS) and PHP XML-RPC, a library of code for PHP programmers that allows procedures to run between computers with different operating systems.
F-Secure calls the worm Mare.D, saying it installs several backdoors on a compromised system. The worm scans random hosts for those running vulnerable installations of the Mambo open source Web site content management system or the PHP XML-RPC library.
Two of the backdoors -- "cb" and "ping.txt" -- are connectback shell backdoors that connected to a remote host via port 8080, F-Secure said. The third is controlled by IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and written in the Perl language. The main component of the worm listens on UDP (User Datagram Protocol) port 27015 for commands, F-Secure said.
Secunia, which also issued an advisory, said the vulnerability affects Version 1.1 of PHP XML-RPC and prior versions. Its advisory recommended upgrading PHP XML-RPC to Version 1.1.1.
Mambo wrote on its Web site that it has issued fixes for versions 4.5.3 and 4.5.3h. Those fixes can be downloaded from Mambo's Web site. It also recommended that users upgrade their software if they have a version earlier than 4.5.3.
So far, it doesn't appear many users have been affected. Graham Cluley, a senior technology consultant with Sophos PLC, said the company has not heard concerns from its customers over the worm.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts