Impact of worm targeting Mambo CMS low, say researchers
Mare.D targets Mambo CMS and PHP XML-RPC
IDG News Service - F-Secure Corp. is warning of a network worm that targets vulnerabilities in the Mambo Content Management System (CMS) and PHP XML-RPC, a library of code for PHP programmers that allows procedures to run between computers with different operating systems.
F-Secure calls the worm Mare.D, saying it installs several backdoors on a compromised system. The worm scans random hosts for those running vulnerable installations of the Mambo open source Web site content management system or the PHP XML-RPC library.
Two of the backdoors -- "cb" and "ping.txt" -- are connectback shell backdoors that connected to a remote host via port 8080, F-Secure said. The third is controlled by IRC (Internet Relay Chat) and written in the Perl language. The main component of the worm listens on UDP (User Datagram Protocol) port 27015 for commands, F-Secure said.
Secunia, which also issued an advisory, said the vulnerability affects Version 1.1 of PHP XML-RPC and prior versions. Its advisory recommended upgrading PHP XML-RPC to Version 1.1.1.
Mambo wrote on its Web site that it has issued fixes for versions 4.5.3 and 4.5.3h. Those fixes can be downloaded from Mambo's Web site. It also recommended that users upgrade their software if they have a version earlier than 4.5.3.
So far, it doesn't appear many users have been affected. Graham Cluley, a senior technology consultant with Sophos PLC, said the company has not heard concerns from its customers over the worm.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts