IDG News Service - The next generation of Java for mobile phones should become available in the middle of 2006, with handsets featuring applications built with the new version expected to reach the market at the end of 2006 or early 2007, Sun Microsystems Inc. said Wednesday at the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona.
The Java Community Process, which determines which features and functions are included in different forms of Java, has been working on defining the next version of Java for mobile phones, said Eric Chu, senior director of mobile and embedded systems at Sun. The new version will allow developers to create applications that can take advantage of additional capabilities on handsets, such as Bluetooth or location information, Chu said. Java contributors continually define such new features, and every few years the features are collected and wrapped into a new version of Java, he said.
Companies like Vodafone Group PLC, Nokia Corp. and Motorola Inc. have been involved in the development process and are already working on handsets with the new Java, Chu said. That explains the relatively short time expected between the release of the new version and the release of handsets, he said.
At the 3GSM World Congress, Sun also announced a partnership with Openwave Systems Inc. to integrate Java for mobile phones with Openwave's markup language. The integration enables developers to build applications using Java and Openwave's language based on XML, and link between the two, said Jon McCormack, senior vice president of engineering at Openwave.
Most handsets, even the low-end mass market phones, include Java Virtual Machine to enable Java applications and are capable of displaying applications written in Openwave's markup language, Chu said. By linking the two, Sun and Openwave expect that application developers can bring more interesting content and applications to mass market phone users, McCormack said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts