Group Crafts Standards for Evaluating Outsourcers
Computerworld - Six large U.S. banks, an industry group and four major accounting firms joined forces in early 2004 to create standards for assessing the security practices of outsourcing vendors that work with financial services firms.
The goal was to create consistent standards for use in evaluating the controls that outsourcing vendors use to protect sensitive data, said Faith Boettger, a senior consultant at BITS, the technology arm of the Washington-based Financial Services Roundtable.
The standards are now available to the financial services community, following a trial of the program undertaken by five service providers, including IBM, Acxiom Corp. and First Data Corp.
The standards program, called the Financial Institution Shared Assessments Program, was developed by BITS, Bank of America Corp., The Bank of New York Co., Citigroup Inc., JPMorgan Chase & Co., U.S. Bancorp and Wells Fargo & Co. Accounting firms Deloitte & Touche LLP, KPMG International, PricewaterhouseCoopers and Ernst & Young International serve as technical advisers for the program.
The guidelines can be used to evaluate an outsourcer's controls for access, asset classification, personnel security, physical and environmental security, communications, business continuity and regulatory compliance, Boettger said.
The group expects that the standards will result in improved security and risk-management practices, she said. The program will also give auditing firms standard criteria for measuring the security practices of different service providers, she added.
"BITS member companies have for a long time been focused on looking at the management of risk within outsourcing relationships," Boettger said. The new programs should help such companies better meet their regulatory and risk management requirements, she explained.
Joe Duffy, lead managing partner for the performance improvement practice at PricewaterhouseCoopers, said the initiative is an example of the private sector coming together to address information security issues at a time of heightened regulatory oversight.
"What is groundbreaking here is the fact that industry, the accounting profession and the supplier community are coming together and agreeing" on common assessment standards, Duffy said.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts