SAP CEO: India is getting expensive
Kagermann has eye on China, Eastern Europe
IDG News Service - Escalating personnel costs in India -- one of the world's largest markets for offshore software development services -- have prompted business software vendor SAP AG to begin looking elsewhere for low-cost, skilled programmers.
"India is slowly getting expensive," SAP CEO Henning Kagermann said in an interview today in the German edition of the Financial Times. "We have decided to hire a certain number there and then start looking at other locations."
SAP spokesman Frank Hartman confirmed the statements.
Kagermann pointed to India's relatively high staff turnover, which is fueling personnel costs, Hartman said. "Personnel costs are a key factor in the software industry."
Staff turnover in India has increased as SAP competes against other IT powerhouses such as IBM and Microsoft Corp., as well as local Indian IT companies such as Infosys Technologies Ltd. and Wipro Ltd., for qualified staff.
SAP is likely to expand in China and Eastern Europe, according to Kagermann. The reason the German vendor has only limited software development in China is largely because of the country's lack of protection for intellectual property rights, he said. "But that isn't going to prevent us from doing more in China," he added.
Today, about 1,000 people work for SAP in China, mostly in sales and marketing, Kagermann said.
Eastern Europe is another area where the German CEO sees opportunities for offshore software development. Turnover is low, he said, and the costs aren't too high.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?