SAP CEO: India is getting expensive
Kagermann has eye on China, Eastern Europe
IDG News Service - Escalating personnel costs in India -- one of the world's largest markets for offshore software development services -- have prompted business software vendor SAP AG to begin looking elsewhere for low-cost, skilled programmers.
"India is slowly getting expensive," SAP CEO Henning Kagermann said in an interview today in the German edition of the Financial Times. "We have decided to hire a certain number there and then start looking at other locations."
SAP spokesman Frank Hartman confirmed the statements.
Kagermann pointed to India's relatively high staff turnover, which is fueling personnel costs, Hartman said. "Personnel costs are a key factor in the software industry."
Staff turnover in India has increased as SAP competes against other IT powerhouses such as IBM and Microsoft Corp., as well as local Indian IT companies such as Infosys Technologies Ltd. and Wipro Ltd., for qualified staff.
SAP is likely to expand in China and Eastern Europe, according to Kagermann. The reason the German vendor has only limited software development in China is largely because of the country's lack of protection for intellectual property rights, he said. "But that isn't going to prevent us from doing more in China," he added.
Today, about 1,000 people work for SAP in China, mostly in sales and marketing, Kagermann said.
Eastern Europe is another area where the German CEO sees opportunities for offshore software development. Turnover is low, he said, and the costs aren't too high.
- Making the Move to a Cloud-Based IT Service Management (ITSM) Platform Today's mature cloud-based ITSM solutions can give you the flexibility and agility you need-without sacrificing security, stability or performance.
- A Practical Guide to Understand and Benefit from the Consumerization of IT This guide explores the realities of IT Consumerization to define challenges and opportunities. Learn best practices and get actionable recommendations.
- The New IT Explore enhanced productivity for IT staff, and seamless integration across IT operation management systems. Download now.
- The Perfect Combo: ITIL, ITSM and Social Media BMC explores how best-in-class organizations are leveraging these to drive user satisfaction and organizational success.
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Exploring Network Management Challenges and the Benefits of Outsourcing New research conducted by IDG explores the network management challenges that IT and telecom leaders face and how they are dealing with them....
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...