Disney to buy Pixar, put Apple CEO Jobs on board
The deal, valued at $7.4B, has been approved by the boards of both companies
IDG News Service - The Walt Disney Co. has agreed to acquire Pixar, the animation studio headed by Apple Computer Inc. CEO Steve Jobs, in a long-anticipated $7.4 billion deal that will put Jobs on Disney's board of directors, the companies announced today.
Pixar, based in Emeryville, Calif., has parlayed its digital animation expertise and distribution partnerships with Disney into a string of blockbuster hits since 1995, including Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo and The Incredibles.
Jobs, a co-founder of Apple, also co-founded Pixar in 1986. He is chairman and CEO of the studio and owns approximately 50.6% of the outstanding shares of Pixar, according to a press release issued by Disney and Pixar. Pixar shareholders would receive 2.3 Disney shares for each Pixar share in the all-stock deal, the companies said, and Jobs would become the largest individual shareholder of Disney following the deal's close, according to news reports.
In 2005, Jobs was worth $3.3 billion, making him the 67th richest person in the U.S., according to the Forbes 400 list.
The boards of both companies have approved the acquisition, but it still needs shareholder and regulatory approval. The companies said they expect the acquisition to close this summer.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Mac OS X White Papers | Webcasts