Offshore Firms Target IT Infrastructure Outsourcing
Indian vendors report big workforce gains, look to expand into new areas
Computerworld - For most U.S. companies, a 30% year-over-year increase in employees without a major acquisition might make the national news. But in India, that kind of growth is becoming routine for IT services firms.
For example, Wipro Ltd. in Bangalore, India, said in its latest quarterly earnings report last week that its workforce had reached 51,000 employees as of Dec. 31up 30% from the start of 2005.
It's a similar, or even better, story at Bangalore-based Infosys Technologies Ltd., which said earlier this month that it had 49,400 workers as of Dec. 31. That amounts to a 40% year-over-year increase.
Those gains come as offshore firms and the Indian operations of U.S. vendors are seeking to expand into relatively new areas, such as IT infrastructure outsourcing.
Last month, Dallas-based Perot Systems Corp. started offering infrastructure management services from its facilities in India, where 6,000 of the company's 17,000 employees are based.
|Mike McClaskey, CIO of Perot Systems Corp.|
But most of Perot's employee growth in recent years has been in India, according to Mc-Claskey. He said he isn't worried that the rapid workforce growth will affect his ability to keep wages from rising too quickly or prevent him from finding people with the right skills in India.
Bangalore, where one of Perot's facilities is located, is India's equivalent of Silicon Valley, but the company also has an office in Noida, a suburb of Delhi. And McClaskey said there are several hundred other cities in India with the required skill levels and educational facilities, as well as a wage advantage over Bangalore.
"I think we are going to see labor arbitrage in India for a long, long time, and I think it's going to move around geographies inside of India," said McClaskey, referring to the practice of reducing costs through the use of lower-cost labor.
Wipro is also offering remote infrastructure-management services. Sridhar Ramasubbu, general manager of Wipro's financials and investor relations office in India, said infrastructure management now accounts for about 7% of the company's revenue, which totaled $617 million in the quarter that ended Dec. 31.
Pavan Chahal, managing director of NeoIT Inc., a consulting firm in San Ramon, Calif., that provides advice on using offshore services,
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.