Sidebar: Testing the Card Keys
Computerworld - Computerworld and MagTek tested 100 card keys gathered in the fall from the hotel and resort operations listed below. Each card was scanned using a MagTek swipe-card reader that has a USB interface and complies with a standard set by the International Standards Organization and the American Bankers Association. Cards were also inspected using specialized equipment at MagTek to see if data embedded using nonstandard formatting techniques could be read.
Because many properties are independently owned, we tested cards from properties in the same hotel chain in different locations.
Readable alphanumeric data was scanned from 15% of the cards using the ISO-standard reader. Most results were unintelligible strings of numeric or alphanumeric characters. In cases where numeric strings could possibly have contained credit card numbers, the data was returned to the owner of the card for inspection. One reporter found a match to the last four digits of the credit card used to pay for the room on the key card. No other meaningful data was found.
Coronado Springs Hotel (Disney)
Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center
Hilton New York
Hilton, La Fontana
Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza
Holiday Inn on King
Holiday Inn SunSpree Resorts
Homewood Suites Hilton
Hyatt Regency Apa Aviana
J.W. Marriott Grand Lakes Resort
Kimpton (Hotel Monaco)
La Quinta Inn Queens
Monte Carlo Resort & Casino
OpryLand Hotel and Convention Center
Park Lane Hotel
Red Roof Inn
Residential Suites at Ritz-Carlton Towers
The Inn at Penn (Hilton)
The Latham Hotel
Walt Disney World Port Orleans
Westin St. Francis
Xanterra Parks & Resorts
- Sidebar: Spraying for Data
- Sidebar: The Search for the Perfect Electronic Key
- Blog: What's not on your hotel card key
- Blog: Swipe here to steal ID
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Case Study: Intuit Turns to Self-Service IT Intuit empowered its users to resolve their own IT issues with a consumer-like experience to free IT to focus on more strategic initiatives....
- Automation for a Better Tomorrow Check out the five most common annoyances facing enterprise IT service desks today, and how automation can resolve all of them. Download the...
- Beyond the Enterprise App Store Leverage proactive, secure and automated IT Service delivery to move beyond the traditional App Store and empower your users. Read the white paper...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!