Sidebar: Spraying for Data
Computerworld - When testing card keys, electronic lock makers often use a product called Magview to visibly identify the encoding pattern or see an embedded bar-code pattern. The process is simple: You spray the card with a mist of suspended metal particles, which drop onto the magnetic surface. "The metal particles stand up on the encoding sequence. It will show you the encoding pattern and its positioning on the card," says Mark Goldberg, executive vice president and chief operating officer at card maker Plasticard-Locktech International.
Whereas the ability to see data patterns appear on a credit card would amount to little more than an amusing parlor trick for most Computerworld readers, it's all business for Goldberg. He uses Magview spray to calibrate electronic key-coding equipment with his cards. But you won't find Magview next to the Pledge at your local grocery store, and it's not cheap. It's available only from Geneva Group of Companies Inc. in Minneapolis. The product, which is also used to align the magnetic heads of other electronic devices, sells for $52.49 for a 2 oz. bottle.
- Sidebar: Testing the Card Keys
- Sidebar: The Search for the Perfect Electronic Key
- Blog: What's not on your hotel card key
- Blog: Swipe here to steal ID
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!