Sidebar: Spraying for Data
Computerworld - When testing card keys, electronic lock makers often use a product called Magview to visibly identify the encoding pattern or see an embedded bar-code pattern. The process is simple: You spray the card with a mist of suspended metal particles, which drop onto the magnetic surface. "The metal particles stand up on the encoding sequence. It will show you the encoding pattern and its positioning on the card," says Mark Goldberg, executive vice president and chief operating officer at card maker Plasticard-Locktech International.
Whereas the ability to see data patterns appear on a credit card would amount to little more than an amusing parlor trick for most Computerworld readers, it's all business for Goldberg. He uses Magview spray to calibrate electronic key-coding equipment with his cards. But you won't find Magview next to the Pledge at your local grocery store, and it's not cheap. It's available only from Geneva Group of Companies Inc. in Minneapolis. The product, which is also used to align the magnetic heads of other electronic devices, sells for $52.49 for a 2 oz. bottle.
- Sidebar: Testing the Card Keys
- Sidebar: The Search for the Perfect Electronic Key
- Blog: What's not on your hotel card key
- Blog: Swipe here to steal ID
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts