Q&A: P&G Exec Sees Disconnect on High-Performance Systems
Lange says IT needs to grasp technology's value and lobby for it
Computerworld - SEATTLE -- Procter & Gamble relies heavily on supercomputing systems in designing and testing its products. But Thomas Lange, director of modeling and simulation for corporate R&D at the consumer products maker, thinks that many potential corporate users still see supercomputing systems as an esoteric technology that's years away from being relevant to mainstream business applications. Not so, he argued in an interview with Computerworld last week.
Thomas Lange of Procter & Gamble
Image Credit: Patrick Thibodeau
What role can CIOs and other IT managers play in introducing supercomputing at their companies? Two things. First, they can be an advocate from the top down within the organization. They can create an environment that is supportive for the opportunity to get developed. It isn't just the CIO, by the way; it's also the CTO. Second, they can challenge their organization by saying, "We have to innovate how we are innovating."
What are the risks that you see for companies that don't move into high-performance computing? Someone else will out-innovate you, and it may come from below or above.
But what kind of problems do you have to solve to bring supercomputing into an organization? Development is a zero-sum game, so every dollar you're going to spend on computing -- and on the software, hardware and people to do it -- is a dollar you aren't going to spend on some other part of development activity you already do today. So the challenge is, you have to sell the belief that "I'm going to be able to do this virtually faster and better than I'm doing it today." Automotive did it. They took cars off the test track and started doing virtual work.
A lot of big companies use custom software on their high-performance systems. But if you're a midsize company, you may want a plug-and-play system with commercial software. How do you accomplish that? I have very little custom code. We made it a conscious choice -- stick with commercial [programs].
Do the commercial products scale to the number of processors you need? They don't always. And when they don't, we get real upset and spend a lotof time talking to our software vendors. We have a willingness to go to another vendor. There's a marketplace for codes.
Read more about IT Industry in Computerworld's IT Industry Topic Center.
- Top 12 Laptop Bags for Mobile Pros
- Think Deleted Text Messages Are Gone Forever? Think Again
- 7 New Faces of the C-suite
- 5 Ways CIOs Can Rationalize Application Portfolios
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...