Juniper hires former ISS researcher Michael Lynn
He had to quit his job after discussing Cisco router flaws at Black Hat USA in July
IDG News Service - It looks like there is life after Black Hat for Michael Lynn, after all. The former Internet Security Systems Inc. (ISS) researcher has landed a job with networking vendor Juniper Networks Inc. just months after creating an international stir at July's Black Hat USA conference by disclosing information about security weaknesses in Cisco routers (see "ISS researcher quits job to detail Cisco flaws").
Juniper spokeswoman Kathy Durr confirmed on Friday that Lynn had been hired by her company, but she declined to provide any other details on the matter.
Lynn was forced to quit his job in order to give the presentation and was quickly sued by both ISS and Cisco. That lawsuit was dropped after Lynn agreed not to discuss the contents of his presentation (see "Update: ISS researcher agrees to silence on Cisco flaws").
The security researcher has said he gave the controversial talk in order to draw attention to a critical issue in the security of the Internet: vulnerabilities in the software that powers routers.
"I think I did the right thing," Lynn said after settling the lawsuit. "It was pretty scary, but the real important message was [that] there was a potential or serious problem coming in the future. It wasn't too late to fix it, but you had to take it seriously."
He may have achieved that goal. Cisco last week patched a second flaw in its Internetwork Operating System, which powers its routers, saying it was related to the research Lynn had done (see "Cisco detects a second IOS bug").
A Cisco spokesman declined to comment on Lynn's new job.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!