Autonomy acquires Verity for $500M
The combined companies will have a base of 16,000 customers
IDG News Service - British search software company Autonomy Corp. PLC has agreed to buy fellow search technology developer Verity Inc. in a cash deal totaling around $500 million, the companies announced today.
Autonomy CEO Mike Lynch hailed the acquisition as a transformational deal for Autonomy that will give the combined companies a base of 16,000 customers. The deal also brings Autonomy, based in Cambridge, England, a U.S. outpost. Verity''s headquarters is in Sunnyvale, Calif.
Autonomy has gained some deep-pocketed rivals in the search market as companies such as Google Inc. and Microsoft Corp. work to expand their search offerings into enterprise-strength tools. Buying Verity increases Autonomy's scale and diversifies its revenue streams, company executives said.
Founded in 1988, Verity has been consistently profitable for the past five years. In its last fiscal year, the company had revenue of $142.6 million and net income of $7.5 million. Together, Autonomy and Verity would have had revenue of $227 million over the past 12 months, according to Autonomy.
Autonomy agreed to pay $13.50 per Verity share, a 30% premium on Verity's closing price yesterday of $10.37 on the Nasdaq exchange.
Autonomy CEO Lynch will remain CEO of the expanded company, while Verity CEO Anthony Bettencourt takes over as CEO of Autonomy's U.S. subsidiary. Autonomy's current U.S. head, Stouffer Egan, will become chief strategy officer of the expanded organization.
- Deep Security +VMware vSphere with Operations Management Most midsize organizations are highly virtualized on VMware, and while this has produced significant savings, it also has created new challenges when it...
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Fundamentals of the Unified Communications BE 6000 The Cisco Business Edition 6000 delivers the superior performance, system redundancy, and broad application integration you need. Well suited for businesses with 100...
- Cisco Collaboration for Midsize Business Learn what Cisco Collaboration Solutions can do for your midsize business. In this 2-minute video, see how collaboration tools can make your business... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!