Autonomy acquires Verity for $500M
The combined companies will have a base of 16,000 customers
IDG News Service - British search software company Autonomy Corp. PLC has agreed to buy fellow search technology developer Verity Inc. in a cash deal totaling around $500 million, the companies announced today.
Autonomy CEO Mike Lynch hailed the acquisition as a transformational deal for Autonomy that will give the combined companies a base of 16,000 customers. The deal also brings Autonomy, based in Cambridge, England, a U.S. outpost. Verity''s headquarters is in Sunnyvale, Calif.
Autonomy has gained some deep-pocketed rivals in the search market as companies such as Google Inc. and Microsoft Corp. work to expand their search offerings into enterprise-strength tools. Buying Verity increases Autonomy's scale and diversifies its revenue streams, company executives said.
Founded in 1988, Verity has been consistently profitable for the past five years. In its last fiscal year, the company had revenue of $142.6 million and net income of $7.5 million. Together, Autonomy and Verity would have had revenue of $227 million over the past 12 months, according to Autonomy.
Autonomy agreed to pay $13.50 per Verity share, a 30% premium on Verity's closing price yesterday of $10.37 on the Nasdaq exchange.
Autonomy CEO Lynch will remain CEO of the expanded company, while Verity CEO Anthony Bettencourt takes over as CEO of Autonomy's U.S. subsidiary. Autonomy's current U.S. head, Stouffer Egan, will become chief strategy officer of the expanded organization.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- The Value of IBM InfoSphere BigInsights The IBM® InfoSphere® BigInsights™ software platform helps firms discover and analyze business insights hidden in large volumes of a diverse range of data....
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Unified Communications 101 What's the best way to implement a unified communications solution for your organization? Join independent networking expert, Ed Tittel, as he weighs the... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts