Four Tips for Making the Most of Mentor Relationships
CareerJournal - A trusted mentor can be a source of support throughout your career -- whether you're looking to get ahead, switch jobs or beat any number of professional challenges. Consider that a survey of 368 women of color by Catalyst, a nonprofit research organization in New York, found that more than two-thirds of respondents who had a mentor in 1998 had at least one upward career move by 2001.
If you're looking to get the most out of a mentor relationship, the following four tips may help:
1. Connect with like-minded professionals. When Jason Papier was taking night classes toward a financial-planner certification in 2001, he heard a financial planner lecture at the University of California, Santa Cruz. A few weeks later, Papier, then an operations manager at a software company, sent him an e-mail following up on the conversation they'd had and asked him to be his mentor.
"In this business, 99% of the people who sell products are there to make money, and that's not what I'm about," says Papier, now 33. "I wanted [a mentor] who was really trying to help people, and I learned that that's why mine had gotten into the business, too."
Read the complete article on CareerJournal.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts