Four Tips for Making the Most of Mentor Relationships
CareerJournal - A trusted mentor can be a source of support throughout your career -- whether you're looking to get ahead, switch jobs or beat any number of professional challenges. Consider that a survey of 368 women of color by Catalyst, a nonprofit research organization in New York, found that more than two-thirds of respondents who had a mentor in 1998 had at least one upward career move by 2001.
If you're looking to get the most out of a mentor relationship, the following four tips may help:
1. Connect with like-minded professionals. When Jason Papier was taking night classes toward a financial-planner certification in 2001, he heard a financial planner lecture at the University of California, Santa Cruz. A few weeks later, Papier, then an operations manager at a software company, sent him an e-mail following up on the conversation they'd had and asked him to be his mentor.
"In this business, 99% of the people who sell products are there to make money, and that's not what I'm about," says Papier, now 33. "I wanted [a mentor] who was really trying to help people, and I learned that that's why mine had gotten into the business, too."
Read the complete article on CareerJournal.com
- The Critical Incident Response Maturity Journey As organizations rebalance their security defenses to combat today's sophisticated threats, they're recognizing that centralized incident response capabilities are key.
- Energy Efficient Servers Supermicro at Work. View Now>>
- Don't Trust Your Data Center to Generic Memory Discover How LRDIMMs Break Through Density and Speed Limitations
- Insist on High Quality, Server-Grade Memory Not All Memory is Created Equal - Make Sure Yours Passes Rigorous Margin and Stress Testing
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.