Computerworld - Companies such as Office Depot Inc. and 1-800-Flowers.com Inc. that have outsourced customer service to firms that use home-based agents have had to overcome some unique challenges.
The biggest challenge for Office Depot when it began outsourcing sales and service support to Golden, Colo.-based Alpine Access Inc. five years ago "was convincing people that quality wouldn't erode," said Julian Carter, director of operations and strategic partnerships at the Delray Beach, Fla.-based retailer.
To overcome those fears, Office Depot assigns workers to listen in on customer calls periodically to ensure that agents are meeting productivity targets and adhering to quality requirements. Office Depot personnel make sure that agents follow up on sales leads and follow the right procedures, said Carter.
The biggest concerns for 1-800-Flowers before signing up Alpine Access for customer service were fears that the outsourcing firm's training capabilities wouldn't meet its needs, said Lou Orsi, director of vendor relations and strategic projects at the Westbury, N.Y.-based gift retailer.
"I was 100% wrong -- these guys [at Alpine Access] have built a great Web-based training application," Orsi said.
Sandy Ward, vice president of sales and marketing at Alpine Access, said his firm maintains traditional customer service controls, such as call recording, reporting and supervision for the at-home workers. The company encourages its home-based agents to have high-speed Internet connections and requires that they have a second phone line for redundancy.
Read more about IT Outsourcing in Computerworld's IT Outsourcing Topic Center.
- Agility & Scalability for Oracle EBS R12 and RAC on VMware vSphere 5 This white paper outlines extensive performance and scalability testing of Oracle EBS applications on a Vblock™ Systems with vSphere 5.
- Oracle and VCE: The Next Step in Integrated Computing Platforms In this ESG Lab review you will learn how a VCE system driven by Oracle, delivers the perfect blend of high performance and...
- Migrate Oracle Apps from RISC/UNIX to Virtualized x86 Ready to move Oracle to a virtualized environment? This brief explains how true converged infrastructure can help you migrate from a RISC/UNIX environment...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts