IDG News Service - Maspro Denkoh Corp., a Japanese manufacturer of wireless communications equipment, has developed a transmission system that can send Wi-Fi signals as far as five kilometers.
The system relies on high-gain antennas produced by the company and is compatible with standard 802.11b/g communications equipment, it said on Wednesday at the Ceatec Japan 2005 trade show in Chiba, Japan.
There are two types of antenna: One is a tube-shaped model about 40 centimeters long, and the other is a much shorter and square-shaped model. Combining two of the tubular antenna -- one on each end of the link -- will result in a transmission distance of about 5 km, while one of each antenna will work on distances up to 2 km, and two of the compact antenna will be fine for up to 1 km, the company said.
They can be used with standard wireless LAN equipment that support external antennas, said Seiichi Maejima, new products leader in the company's sales department.
Maspro is promoting them for remote monitoring and security applications and is offering a complete system for potential users. The system includes a camera, video encoder and transmitter unit and antenna for the remote site, all of which are suitable for outdoor use. At the receiving end, there is another antenna and WLAN access point. The system comes with software that can support video from up to nine remote cameras.
The product priced depending on the transmission distance involved. The 5-km version costs ¥600,000 ($5,254); the 2-km version costs ¥568,000 and the 1-kilometer version costs ¥537,000. All systems come with a single camera and remote unit. Additional remote kits cost either ¥488,000 for the version with the tubular antenna or ¥457,000 for the square antenna type.
Sales began in Japan in September, and the company has no current plans to offer the equipment overseas.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Keeping UP with Mobile Trendsetters Global survey tracks achievements and challenges of mobile initiatives along with best practices for success.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!