IDG News Service - Tired of reading maps or charts on a small display in a handheld device? How about rolling out the screen.
At the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin, Dutch consumer electronics giant Philips Electronics NV is showing a prototype electronic reader whose display can be rolled out to a larger size.
The Readius handheld device is equipped with a monochrome, 5-in. QVGA (320-by-240-pixel) display that provides paper-like viewing.
Using a "bi-stable electrophoretic" display effect from E Ink Corp., the display consumes little power and is easy to use, even in bright daylight, according to Philips. Once users have finished reading, they can roll the display back into the pocket-size device, which measures 100-by-60-by-20mm.
The prototype screen is based on Philip's Polymer Vision's PV-QML5 rollable display design.
Philips said it expects demand for the new rollable technology to come from the mobile sector, which is seeking ways to provide larger screens in ever-smaller devices.
The IFA (Internationale Funkausstellung), which opened Friday, will run through Wednesday.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts