IDG News Service - Matsushita Battery Industrial Coporation of America, part of the Japanese group better known by its Panasonic brand name, will work with Intel Corp. to improve battery technology, the two companies announced last week.
The work with Intel is focused on improving current lithium-ion battery technology to the point where a notebook computer will be able to run for eight hours on a single charge.
Matsushita is already working on a new battery that should be available in April 2006 and could help extend the lifetime of notebook computers and other devices such as cell phones and digital still cameras, the company said in a statement.
The new battery will have a capacity of 2.9Ah (amphere hours), which is about 30% more than mainstream batteries today, according to the company. Like current batteries, it will reach a voltage of 4.2 volts when fully charged but continue discharging down to 2.5V. Current batteries stop discharging power at around 3V so the new battery should last longer, the company said.
Matsushita said it will work with Intel on using this battery in notebook computer applications.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts