Brief: NIST launches new vulnerability database
Contains information on 12,000 vulnerabilities
Computerworld - The National Institute of Standards and Technology has launched a new vulnerability database to help security professionals learn about and correct vulnerabilities.
The database, known as the National Vulnerability Database (NVD), integrates all publicly available U.S. government resources on vulnerabilities and provides links to industry resources, according to NIST. It is built on a dictionary of standardized vulnerability names and descriptions called common vulnerabilities and exposures.
About 300 new vulnerabilities are discovered each month, according to NIST.
Updated daily, the NVD contains information on almost 12,000 vulnerabilities. It allows users to search by a variety of characteristics, including software name and version number; vendor name; and vulnerability type, severity and impact, the agency said. The database can also be used to research the vulnerability history of a product and view vulnerability statistics and trends.
The NVD was developed by researchers in the NIST's Computer Security Division in conjunction with the Department of Homeland Security's National Cyber Security Division.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Gartner Report: A Guide to Gartner's Enterprise Mobile Security Self-Assessment Gartner introduces a model and a Toolkit intended to help mobility and security IT leaders assess their enterprise mobility programs from a security...
- Gartner Report: Containing Mobile Security Risks With the 80/20 Rule IT planners can deliver better mobile protection with higher user satisfaction by segmenting users into risk groups before committing to specific management or...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts