Brief: NIST launches new vulnerability database
Contains information on 12,000 vulnerabilities
Computerworld - The National Institute of Standards and Technology has launched a new vulnerability database to help security professionals learn about and correct vulnerabilities.
The database, known as the National Vulnerability Database (NVD), integrates all publicly available U.S. government resources on vulnerabilities and provides links to industry resources, according to NIST. It is built on a dictionary of standardized vulnerability names and descriptions called common vulnerabilities and exposures.
About 300 new vulnerabilities are discovered each month, according to NIST.
Updated daily, the NVD contains information on almost 12,000 vulnerabilities. It allows users to search by a variety of characteristics, including software name and version number; vendor name; and vulnerability type, severity and impact, the agency said. The database can also be used to research the vulnerability history of a product and view vulnerability statistics and trends.
The NVD was developed by researchers in the NIST's Computer Security Division in conjunction with the Department of Homeland Security's National Cyber Security Division.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!