Brief: NIST launches new vulnerability database
Contains information on 12,000 vulnerabilities
Computerworld - The National Institute of Standards and Technology has launched a new vulnerability database to help security professionals learn about and correct vulnerabilities.
The database, known as the National Vulnerability Database (NVD), integrates all publicly available U.S. government resources on vulnerabilities and provides links to industry resources, according to NIST. It is built on a dictionary of standardized vulnerability names and descriptions called common vulnerabilities and exposures.
About 300 new vulnerabilities are discovered each month, according to NIST.
Updated daily, the NVD contains information on almost 12,000 vulnerabilities. It allows users to search by a variety of characteristics, including software name and version number; vendor name; and vulnerability type, severity and impact, the agency said. The database can also be used to research the vulnerability history of a product and view vulnerability statistics and trends.
The NVD was developed by researchers in the NIST's Computer Security Division in conjunction with the Department of Homeland Security's National Cyber Security Division.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts