Computerworld - ... a sensitive issue in the open-source community. According to Mitchell Baker, president of the Mozilla Foundation in Mountain View, Calif., "Anytime money gets into the picture, people get suspicious." Baker was explaining to an audience of open-source
developers at the O'Reilly Open Source Convention in Portland, Ore., earlier this month why she feels her nonprofit organization needs a for-profit sister company to promote and manage the world's No. 2 Internet browser, Firefox.
The money problem inside the open-source world stems from the fact that most developers who contribute to open-source projects do so for free, while some individuals build successful companies around those projects and profit from them. Paul Everitt, executive director of the Plone Foundation in Houston, which promotes the Plone open-source content management software, says, "If you want to attract developers, you can't give off the smell that someone's going to make a lot of money" while leaving the developers in the cold.
Winston Damarillo, CEO of Simula Labs LLC
Winston Damarillo, CEO of Simula Labs LLC, a venture capital business that nurtures open-source companies, acknowledges that there's "a little bit" of resentment among some open-source programmers. Damarillo, who recently sold open-source application server firm Gluecode Software Inc. in El Segundo, Calif., to IBM , proudly says, "We produced a few open-source millionaires." But he stresses that his goal is to offer the "inner core [of developers] of an open-source project to be co-founders" of the companies that Simula Labs will launch.
Zach Urlocker, vice president of marketing at MySQL Inc.
Damarillo argues that people in the open-source community have much to offer the IT industry. "The biggest loss for open-source is if developers become salaried employees instead of entrepreneurs," he says.
Open-source code can pose legal ...
... headaches for IT departments if they don't carefully manage the Byzantine licensing requirements. Paul Henderson, vice president of
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!