IBM offers starter pack for grid computing
'Grid and Grow' is a bundle of software, hardware and services
IDG News Service - IBM plans to unwrap a bundle of software, hardware and services called Grid and Grow at the LinuxWorld show in San Francisco today. The company hopes the bundle will act as a starter pack for midsize and large companies wanting to move into grid computing, according to an IBM executive.
"We are seeing more and more customers constrained for computing capacity turning to grid [computing] to expand their capacity without having to completely rip and replace their [existing] computing environments," said Al Bunshaft, vice president of grid computing at IBM. "We chose a LinuxWorld rollout because of the very close relationship between the explosion of grid technology and [customers choosing] Linux as a primary operating platform."
Although some companies have adopted grid computing, others are put off the technology by what they see as its associated complexity, Bunshaft noted. "[Grid and Grow] is a very easy on-ramp to adopt the technology," he said. "It's the first building block -- and not a trivial one -- that allows a company to put in the environment and get significant value out of it."
Grid and Grow is based on IBM's eServer BladeCenter blade, with customers able to choose from three different processors, Bunshaft said. There's the Intel Corp.-based eServer BladeCenter HS20, the IBM Power-based JS20 BladeCenter or the LS20 blade powered by Advanced Micro Devices Inc.'s Opteron chip.
The standard Grid and Grow configuration will include a single BladeCenter chassis with seven Intel-based blades, since this is the configuration IBM has seen most customers begin with, Bunshaft said. The bundle is extensible, so that customers purchasing Grid and Grow over time can expand to a full BladeCenter with 14 blades, he added.
IBM's Director management software is included with BladeCenter. Portions of Big Blue's Tivoli systems management software are also available as part of the bundle, including dynamic server provisioning, software license tracking and grid storage management.
Customers purchasing the bundle have a choice of scheduling software to help manage computing resources.They can choose either IBM's LoadLeveler, Altair's PBS Professional, DataSynapse's GridServer or Platform's LSF, according to Bunshaft. The choice depends on the type of workload customers are planning to use and the industry they operate in, he said.
For an operating system, customers can choose from Red Hat Inc., Novell Inc.'s Suse, Microsoft Corp.'s Windows or IBM's own AIX 5L Unix operating system, Bunshaft said.
Bundled services from IBM Global Services will include grid scheduler installation, tuning, testing and client training.
The starting price of the standard Grid and Grow bundle is $49,000, Bunshaft said. Initially, the bundle will beavailable only in the Americas, with a rollout to Europe and the Asia-Pacific planned for the remainder of this year, he said.
While the financial and industrial sectors have been early grid adopters, Bunshaft believes telecoms and digital media companies aren't far behind, and are already showing real interest.
- The business impact of BYOA: Five major challenges and how your enterprise can solve them This E-Book reviews five major challenges of BYOA with key subject matter experts and outlines how businesses can solve them.
- The BYOA Opportunity Visual demonstration of problems that unmonitored, employee-introduced cloud apps can cause a business, and why IT managers need a solution to help and...
- BYOA: Embracing the Opportunity, Controlling the Risk This whitepaper explores the shift from BYOD to BYOA (bring-your-own-application) and how IT departments today can address this new change in the IT...
- AppGuru Reference Guide: Conquer BYOA Challenges, Leverage BYOA Benefits As the advantages of Bring-Your-Own-Application environments become increasingly apparent, BYOA is quickly becoming a reality for organizations of all sizes. But with the...
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade.
- Peer 1's Mission Critical Cloud: Your Cloud, Your Way Peer 1 Hosting's Mission Critical Cloud offers the ultimate in flexible customization of infrastructure, resources and support.