- Short-term Weather Analytics
Location: Armonk, N.Y.
What it is: IBM is developing model-based software called Deep Thunder that's designed to help utilities determine in advance where they may need to send repair crews during a storm. The software provides a detailed analysis of locations where thunderstorms are likely to occur and which transformers and other equipment might be vulnerable.
- Demand Response System
Vendor: EnerNOC Inc.
How it works: EnerNOC sells a combined hardware/software system to commercial and industrial electricity customers that are enrolled in voluntary energy reduction programs with their local utilities. If a utility needs customers to reduce their electricity consumption during a heat wave, it contacts EnerNOC. EnerNOC then sends a signal to the customer's utility meter advising it to reduce consumption. Also, EnerNOC's Site Server, a Linux-based system that's built on a J2EE platform, can turn off a customer's nonessential lighting or air conditioning units remotely from its Boston operations center via the Internet.
- Enterprise Notification Service
Vendor: EnvoyWorldWide Inc.
Location: Bedford, Mass.
How it works: A message from a utility's energy management system is sent to EnvoyWorldWide. That message tells EnvoyWorldWide to contact commercial customers enrolled in an energy reduction program and advise them that they need to curtail power consumption. The EnvoyWorldWide notification system, which runs on HP DL360, CL380 and DL380 machines running Windows 2003 Server software, has a list with the names of the people to contact and information about how they want to be contacted. If the first person listed at a particular site doesn't respond, the rules-based system contacts the next one on the list.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts