- Short-term Weather Analytics
Location: Armonk, N.Y.
What it is: IBM is developing model-based software called Deep Thunder that's designed to help utilities determine in advance where they may need to send repair crews during a storm. The software provides a detailed analysis of locations where thunderstorms are likely to occur and which transformers and other equipment might be vulnerable.
- Demand Response System
Vendor: EnerNOC Inc.
How it works: EnerNOC sells a combined hardware/software system to commercial and industrial electricity customers that are enrolled in voluntary energy reduction programs with their local utilities. If a utility needs customers to reduce their electricity consumption during a heat wave, it contacts EnerNOC. EnerNOC then sends a signal to the customer's utility meter advising it to reduce consumption. Also, EnerNOC's Site Server, a Linux-based system that's built on a J2EE platform, can turn off a customer's nonessential lighting or air conditioning units remotely from its Boston operations center via the Internet.
- Enterprise Notification Service
Vendor: EnvoyWorldWide Inc.
Location: Bedford, Mass.
How it works: A message from a utility's energy management system is sent to EnvoyWorldWide. That message tells EnvoyWorldWide to contact commercial customers enrolled in an energy reduction program and advise them that they need to curtail power consumption. The EnvoyWorldWide notification system, which runs on HP DL360, CL380 and DL380 machines running Windows 2003 Server software, has a list with the names of the people to contact and information about how they want to be contacted. If the first person listed at a particular site doesn't respond, the rules-based system contacts the next one on the list.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts