- Short-term Weather Analytics
Location: Armonk, N.Y.
What it is: IBM is developing model-based software called Deep Thunder that's designed to help utilities determine in advance where they may need to send repair crews during a storm. The software provides a detailed analysis of locations where thunderstorms are likely to occur and which transformers and other equipment might be vulnerable.
- Demand Response System
Vendor: EnerNOC Inc.
How it works: EnerNOC sells a combined hardware/software system to commercial and industrial electricity customers that are enrolled in voluntary energy reduction programs with their local utilities. If a utility needs customers to reduce their electricity consumption during a heat wave, it contacts EnerNOC. EnerNOC then sends a signal to the customer's utility meter advising it to reduce consumption. Also, EnerNOC's Site Server, a Linux-based system that's built on a J2EE platform, can turn off a customer's nonessential lighting or air conditioning units remotely from its Boston operations center via the Internet.
- Enterprise Notification Service
Vendor: EnvoyWorldWide Inc.
Location: Bedford, Mass.
How it works: A message from a utility's energy management system is sent to EnvoyWorldWide. That message tells EnvoyWorldWide to contact commercial customers enrolled in an energy reduction program and advise them that they need to curtail power consumption. The EnvoyWorldWide notification system, which runs on HP DL360, CL380 and DL380 machines running Windows 2003 Server software, has a list with the names of the people to contact and information about how they want to be contacted. If the first person listed at a particular site doesn't respond, the rules-based system contacts the next one on the list.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!