IDG News Service - The Mozilla Foundation today fixed a number of security bugs in its Firefox Web browser, many of which will also be patched in upcoming releases of Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail client and Mozilla Internet software suite.
None of the bugs had been publicly divulged before today, and they are generally not considered to be critical, said Chris Hofmann, director of engineering with The Mozilla Foundation.
"There are a collection of 10 reports that have come in over the past couple of months from security researchers," he said. "Most of these involve quite a bit of user interaction to participate in the potential exploit."
Still, the foundation advises users to upgrade to the new software, which also includes "stability" improvements, according to the Mozilla Web site.
The bugs are patched in Version 1.0.5 of the Firefox browser. A Thunderbird update, also numbered 1.0.5 is expected Wednesday, Hofmann said. The patches will also be applied in Version 1.7.9 of the Mozilla suite, which will be released sometime within the week, he said.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!