Borland CEO Dale Fuller steps down
He resigned after the company said earnings would be lower than expected
Computerworld - Borland Software Corp. CEO Dale Fuller resigned yesterday after the company reported preliminary financial results that were lower than expected.
Fuller will continue as a member of the company's board of directors; Borland Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Scott Arnold will take over as interim CEO.
Fuller's departure coincided with Scotts Valley, Calif.-based Borland's announcement that revenue for the second quarter would be lower than expected based on preliminary financial results. Fuller, who worked for Borland for six years, was initially brought on board to sell the company, said Gartner Inc. analyst Mark Driver.
"Ironically, he brought it back to profitability," Driver said. "[But] it has been a slow slide down since then."
That slide, according to Driver, is in large part a result of the success of open-source development tools from the Eclipse Foundation. "[Borland's] Java IDE [integrated development environment] was at one point the best-selling one on the planet," Driver said. "Eclipse has a had a tremendous impact on them. How do you make money on tools when more and more you are competing against free? They waited too long to address Eclipse."
Based on preliminary data, Borland expects to report total quarterly revenue of $65 million to $67 million, lower than the $70 million to $73 million it had projected. The company declined to provide further details on Fuller's departure, but said in a statement that the board doesn't expect any additional changes in leadership.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Riverbed Optimization System: Technical Overview View now>>
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts