Borland CEO Dale Fuller steps down
He resigned after the company said earnings would be lower than expected
Computerworld - Borland Software Corp. CEO Dale Fuller resigned yesterday after the company reported preliminary financial results that were lower than expected.
Fuller will continue as a member of the company's board of directors; Borland Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Scott Arnold will take over as interim CEO.
Fuller's departure coincided with Scotts Valley, Calif.-based Borland's announcement that revenue for the second quarter would be lower than expected based on preliminary financial results. Fuller, who worked for Borland for six years, was initially brought on board to sell the company, said Gartner Inc. analyst Mark Driver.
"Ironically, he brought it back to profitability," Driver said. "[But] it has been a slow slide down since then."
That slide, according to Driver, is in large part a result of the success of open-source development tools from the Eclipse Foundation. "[Borland's] Java IDE [integrated development environment] was at one point the best-selling one on the planet," Driver said. "Eclipse has a had a tremendous impact on them. How do you make money on tools when more and more you are competing against free? They waited too long to address Eclipse."
Based on preliminary data, Borland expects to report total quarterly revenue of $65 million to $67 million, lower than the $70 million to $73 million it had projected. The company declined to provide further details on Fuller's departure, but said in a statement that the board doesn't expect any additional changes in leadership.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts