New Trojan can knock out Symbian phones
It can cause data loss unless quickly removed
IDG News Service - Users of Symbian Series 60 smart phones are being warned of a new Trojan horse that, if not removed within one hour, can cause complete data loss in the wireless devices.
Several owners of Symbian-based handsets have caught the Trojan Doomboot.A after downloading unauthorized mobile phone games containing the malware, said Anton Von Troyer, marketing manager of Finnish antivirus vendor F-Secure Corp.
F-Secure warned users on Friday that Doomboot.A was in the wild; Von Troyer estimated that about 30 million phones are potentially threatened.
What makes Doomboot.A a serious threat to phones, he said, is the Commwarrior.B worm it contains. The worm propagates by sending a steady flow of messages via the Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and short-range Bluetooth, both of which are fairly standard features in smart phones.
"The worm sends a continuous stream of MMS messages, which will drain the battery of most phones in about an hour," Von Troyer said. "When users try to reboot, they can't. Their handsets need to be reformatted, resulting in complete loss of their data, such as photos, calendar and address book."
Most users wouldn't notice if their phones had been infected, according to Von Troyer. No icons appear; the only indication is a rapid drain of the battery.
Users who detect the Trojan have about an hour to open the application manager program in their phone and remove the malware before the battery drains.
"We're suggesting that people use common sense when going to Web sites and downloading unauthorized Symbian-based mobile phone games," Von Troyer said. "And we're also recommending that they use antivirus programs to protect their devices from viruses, Trojan horses and worms."
- How Four Citrix Customers Solved the Enterprise Mobility Challenge Managing mobile devices, data and all types of apps-Windows, datacenter, web and native mobile- through a single solution.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts