New Trojan can knock out Symbian phones
It can cause data loss unless quickly removed
IDG News Service - Users of Symbian Series 60 smart phones are being warned of a new Trojan horse that, if not removed within one hour, can cause complete data loss in the wireless devices.
Several owners of Symbian-based handsets have caught the Trojan Doomboot.A after downloading unauthorized mobile phone games containing the malware, said Anton Von Troyer, marketing manager of Finnish antivirus vendor F-Secure Corp.
F-Secure warned users on Friday that Doomboot.A was in the wild; Von Troyer estimated that about 30 million phones are potentially threatened.
What makes Doomboot.A a serious threat to phones, he said, is the Commwarrior.B worm it contains. The worm propagates by sending a steady flow of messages via the Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) and short-range Bluetooth, both of which are fairly standard features in smart phones.
"The worm sends a continuous stream of MMS messages, which will drain the battery of most phones in about an hour," Von Troyer said. "When users try to reboot, they can't. Their handsets need to be reformatted, resulting in complete loss of their data, such as photos, calendar and address book."
Most users wouldn't notice if their phones had been infected, according to Von Troyer. No icons appear; the only indication is a rapid drain of the battery.
Users who detect the Trojan have about an hour to open the application manager program in their phone and remove the malware before the battery drains.
"We're suggesting that people use common sense when going to Web sites and downloading unauthorized Symbian-based mobile phone games," Von Troyer said. "And we're also recommending that they use antivirus programs to protect their devices from viruses, Trojan horses and worms."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts