Accenture wins $537M Army financial services contract
The Army is looking to better track its income and spending
Computerworld - The U.S. Army has awarded Accenture Ltd. a 10-year, $537 million contract to build and support new financial system designed to allow the Army to better track its income and spending.
In an announcement yesterday, the Army's Program Executive Office for Enterprise Information Systems announced that Accenture was selected from four competing vendors to build the service's new General Fund Enterprise Business System (GFEBS). The other three vendors were not named.
Cherie Smith, project officer for GFEBS, said the new system will replace the 30-year-old Army Standard Financial System, which provides only minimal analysis for spending and revenue. The existing system allows the Army to get funding balances and write checks to pay for purchases, but it doesn't provide any way of looking at overall spending across the entire service.
"There's not a general ledger structure" for the whole Army today, Smith said. The new system will provide those capabilities, allowing Army officials to obtain reliable financial data and do cost management for the service.
Similar efforts to replace the old system have failed in the past, she said. "It's hard to get funding and support for a financial system when you have weapons and soldiers" to support, she said. "The Army needs to replace these old systems."
The contract gives Accenture 30 days to get up to speed for the work, then the company will have nine months to have a system up and running in an initial installation at the Fort Jackson, S.C., Army base. "The effort is to bring a small piece of functionality at one location as a technology demonstration" before deploying the system across hundreds of Army, National Guard and Army Reserve bases across the country, she said.
The first project will involve a demonstration using the Army's real estate property inventory. After Accenture shows its work is successful, the effort will be expanded to integrate other Army bases and departments.
Accenture will provide full life-cycle support services for the project, and it will implement a system that gives the Army commercial enterprise resource planning capabilities.
A spokesman for Accenture in Reston, Va., could not be reached for comment today.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts