Network World - Symantec Corp. and Veritas on Friday said their respective shareholders have approved the merger of the two companies.
Under the deal, Symantec will acquire Veritas in an exchange of common stock for 1.1242 shares of Symantec common stock at the official closing.
The official closing date for the merger is scheduled for July 2. Security firm Symantec has 6,000 employees and annual sales of $1.9 billion, while storage management vendor Veritas has 6,700 employees and annual sales of $1.8 billion. The combined entities will operate under the corporate name Symantec.
The two companies said that of the 76% of outstanding Symantec shares that were voted upon, 95% were cast in favor of the merger. Of the 73% of outstanding Veritas shares that were voted upon, 98% were cast in favor of the merger.
The merger, proposed last December, was strongly advocated by Symantec CEO John Thompson, who asserted that the union would benefit both companies through more integrated security and storage products. The expected price tag for Symantec to acquire Veritas at that time was $13.5 billion.
The stock market reacted with uncertainty to the announcement last December, causing Symantec stock to plummet by about one third in the months following news of the proposed merger. On Friday, Symantec stood at just over $21 per share, down from its high of $34.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!