Oracle offers updated Database 10g
Release 2 of the software will ship first for Linux
Computerworld - Oracle Corp. is rolling out the latest iteration of its Database 10g software, which boosts self-management capabilities and builds on the company's grid computing initiative.
Database 10g Release 2 (R2) will offer Oracle's Automatic Storage Management (ASM) tool, which can now handle multiple disk operations. Further performance enhancements will allow administrators to more quickly archive, move and copy large data sets through the grid infrastructure.
For better automation of administration, R2 will be able to collect statistics directly from memory, eliminating the need to run a SQL query to do so. And administrators will be able to automatically conduct database workload repository comparisons to get detailed information about workload changes and determine performance impact.
Looking to boost support for Windows, Oracle will offer tighter integration with Visual Studio and the .Net Common Language Runtime (CLR) procedures, enabling code written in one language to be executed by the CLR engine. For data protection, the application will come with row- and column-level security, as well as embedded data encryption and key management.
Oracle plans to start shipping R2 on the Linux platform first, with releases for other platforms becoming available through the summer.
Read more about Databases in Computerworld's Databases Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- SIEM: Keeping Pace with Big Security Data Learn how SIEM can have the right database back-end and offer security intelligence that leverages contextual data to achieve a strong security posture...
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Databases White Papers | Webcasts