Oracle offers updated Database 10g
Release 2 of the software will ship first for Linux
Computerworld - Oracle Corp. is rolling out the latest iteration of its Database 10g software, which boosts self-management capabilities and builds on the company's grid computing initiative.
Database 10g Release 2 (R2) will offer Oracle's Automatic Storage Management (ASM) tool, which can now handle multiple disk operations. Further performance enhancements will allow administrators to more quickly archive, move and copy large data sets through the grid infrastructure.
For better automation of administration, R2 will be able to collect statistics directly from memory, eliminating the need to run a SQL query to do so. And administrators will be able to automatically conduct database workload repository comparisons to get detailed information about workload changes and determine performance impact.
Looking to boost support for Windows, Oracle will offer tighter integration with Visual Studio and the .Net Common Language Runtime (CLR) procedures, enabling code written in one language to be executed by the CLR engine. For data protection, the application will come with row- and column-level security, as well as embedded data encryption and key management.
Oracle plans to start shipping R2 on the Linux platform first, with releases for other platforms becoming available through the summer.
Read more about Databases in Computerworld's Databases Topic Center.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Databases White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!