Security breach may have exposed 40M credit cards
MasterCard blamed a third-party payment processing firm
IDG News Service - A hacker was able to access potentially 40 million credit card numbers by infiltrating the network of a company that processed payment data for MasterCard International Inc. and other companies, MasterCard said Friday.
MasterCard has notified banks that issue its credit cards about the security breach, which victimized CardSystems Solutions Inc., a Tucson, Ariz. back-office processing company, said Jessica Antle, a MasterCard spokeswoman. Those banks will then take steps to notify their customers as they see fit, she said.
The network at CardSystems had certain vulnerabilities that allowed an outsider to access the card numbers, 13.9 million of which were connected to MasterCard cards, Antle said. MasterCard's fraud detection system first became aware of the infiltration in May, and the company promptly launched an investigation into the breach.
However, the complicated investigation was not completed until earlier this week, when MasterCard was able to determine which credit card numbers were exposed and notify the banks that issued those cards, Antle said. Ubizen NV handled the initial forensic investigation, and the case has also been turned over to the FBI. As far as MasterCard is aware, the person who infiltrated the CardSystems network has not yet been identified.
Companies such as CardSystems process payment data for multiple credit card companies, which is why MasterCard numbers only accounted for 13.9 million of the numbers, Antle said. No other types of personal information, such as Social Security numbers, were compromised in the breach, she said.
Cardholders can dispute purchases that were not made by them with the bank that issued their card, and card holders will not be held liable for any purchases determined to have been made fraudulently, Antle said.
Security breaches don't always happen through hacking into a company's network. Citigroup Inc. recently notified customers that the credit information of 3.9 million customers was inside a package that disappeared while in transit from New Jersey to Texas in the care of United Parcel Service Inc.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts