Large users hope for broader adoption of usability standard
International vote seen as boost for software test specs
Computerworld - Badly designed software is costing businesses millions of dollars annually because it's difficult to use, requires extensive training and support, and is so frustrating that many end users underutilize applications, say IT officials at companies such as The Boeing Co. and Fidelity Investments.
Despite those problems, most CIOs remain unaware of a 3-year-old standard designed to help IT managers compare the usability of software products, Boeing's Keith Butler and Fidelity's Thomas Tullis both said last week.
But they and others believe that will change once the guidelines for reporting usability test results are approved as a worldwide standard by the International Standards Organization in Geneva. The ISO's technology standards committee voted late last month to accept the standard, which is known as the Common Industry Format for Usability Test Reports, or CIF.
Butler, who is a technical fellow at Chicago-based Boeing's Phantom Works research and development arm, said he thinks that the internationalization of CIF "is really going to provide it with the critical mass it needs."
That's partly due to the expected involvement of European users, who put a high value on standards, especially because of the cross-border business relationships within the European Union. CIF advocates said there has been a lot of interest from overseas companies, even though the American National Standards Institute's certification of the reporting guidelines in 2002 didn't accelerate awareness of the standard in the U.S.
Cisco Systems Inc., IBM, Microsoft Corp. and other major IT vendors participated in the development of CIF. Even so, few vendors offer prospective customers usability reports that conform to the standard, in part because most users aren't asking for them.
CIF doesn't tell vendors what tests to conduct. Instead, it provides a common format for reporting test results based on a variety of usability metrics. To conform, the data has to be detailed enough to allow potential software buyers to replicate the tests.
The reports are intended to give users "some feeling about how much effort we might have to put into training, and what are the real costs of ownership," said Jack Means, a usability researcher at State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. in Bloomington, Ill.
Boeing was one of the main drivers of the effort to create CIF, after officials at the aircraft maker became convinced that usability problems were resulting in significant expenses. Butler said usability issues can add as much as 50% to the total cost of software ownership.
Although many employees may accept software usability shortcomings as a fact of life, corporatewide problems that affect thousands of workers can have a broad negative impact.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts