Study: U.S. residents at risk for online exploitation
Almost half couldn't identify 'phishing' e-mail scams
IDG News Service - U.S. Internet users are dangerously ignorant about the type of data that Web site owners collect from them and how that data is used, according to a new study by the University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg Public Policy Center.
The lack of awareness makes U.S. Internet users vulnerable to online exploitation, such as misuse of personal information, fraud and overcharging, the study said.
Titled "Open to Exploitation: American Shoppers Online and Offline," the study was released today (download PDF). It involved 1,500 adult U.S. Internet users who were asked true-or-false questions about topics such as Web site privacy policies and retailers' pricing schemes. Respondents on average failed the test, answering on average fewer than 7 out of 17 questions correctly.
Interviews for the study, conducted between early February and mid-March, yielded some findings that the authors consider alarming. Those findings include:
- Almost half of the respondents, 49%, couldn't identify "phishing" scam e-mail messages, which information thieves dress up to look as though they come from a legitimate company, such as a bank or store, to lure users to enter sensitive information. Requested information might include Social Security numbers, passwords and bank account numbers.
- Sixty-two percent of respondents didn't know that an online store can simultaneously charge different prices for the same item based on information it has on different shoppers, a practice that can make users into victims of what study authors call "price discrimination."
To address the problems identified by the study, the Annenberg Public Policy Center proposed three measures:
- Consumer education and media literacy should be taught in elementary, middle and high schools in the U.S.
- By government decree, online retailers should disclose what data they have collected about customers, as well as when and how they will use that data.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!