New Mytob worm poses as IT administrator
It warns recipients that their e-mail accounts are about to be suspended
IDG News Service - Another variant of the Mytob worm began wiggling its way into in-boxes this week, enticing recipients to open an e-mail attachment that could allow a remote hacker to access and perform commands on an infected machine.
The variant, dubbed "Mytob.bi" by some security researchers, scans the hard drive of an infected machine and sends copies of itself to e-mail addresses it finds in the Windows Address Book, antivirus firm Trend Micro Inc. said yesterday. The worm poses as a message from an IT administrator, warning recipients that their e-mail accounts are about to be suspended, Trend Micro said.
Possible subject headers for the worm include "*IMPORTANT* Please Validate Your Email Account" and "Notice: **Last Warning**."
The latest variant is the fourth iteration of the Mytob family of worms that were first detected in late February, Cupertino, Calif.-based Trend Micro said. It has backdoor capabilities and can open a random port, allowing a hacker to remotely access an infected machine.
The variant also prevents the infected machine from accessing several antivirus and security Web sites by redirecting the connection to a local machine, the security company added.
While prevalence of the worm is still low, the damage potential is high, Trend Micro said. U.K.-based antivirus company Sophos PLC also rated the worm as a concern, due to the severe damage it could cause.
Researchers speculated that the Mytob worm family is popular with hackers because its code base is relatively easy to manipulate to create a new variant. Another version, Mytob.ar, was detected earlier this week, containing added spyware and adware elements.
Future Mytob variants could take advantage of the .ar version to reap monetary benefits from spyware, Trend Micro warned.
Internet users are advised to update their antivirus software to protect themselves from the new threats.
- Who's Spying on You? You're aware of the threats of malware to your business but what about the ever-changing ground rules? Cybercriminals today are launching attacks against...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Malware and Vulnerabilities White Papers | Webcasts