Survey: U.S. residents addicted to e-mail
Some are so hooked that they check for messages while in the bathroom
IDG News Service - U.S. residents are so hooked on e-mail that some check for messages in the bathroom, in church and while driving, a new survey sponsored by America Online Inc. has found.
The average e-mail user in the U.S. has two or three e-mail accounts and spends about an hour every day reading, sending and replying to messages, according to the survey, conducted by Opinion Research Corp.
E-mail dependency is so strong for 41% of survey respondents that they check their e-mail in-boxes right after getting out of bed in the morning. The average user checks his in-box five times a day, according to the survey, which polled 4,012 respondents at least 18 years old in the 20 largest U.S. cities.
About a fourth of respondents acknowledged being so addicted to e-mail that they can't go more than two or three days without checking for messages. That includes vacations, during which 60% of respondents admitted logging into their in-boxes.
Unsurprisingly, all that e-mail activity sometimes leads to regrets. Almost half of respondents -- 45% -- indicated they would like to have the ability to retrieve a message they have sent but that hasn't been read yet.
There is also some attachment anxiety to sent messages. A significant portion of respondents -- 43% -- would like to be able to track where their messages get forwarded.
The areas in which it's most likely to find e-mail junkies are, in descending order: Miami/Fort Lauderdale, San Francisco, Philadelphia, New York and Houston.
For those interested in curbing their e-mail compulsion, here are some suggestions:
- Resolve not to check e-mail after a certain hour of the night, and respect the curfew.
- Close the loop on an ongoing e-mail discussion by picking up the phone and calling the other person.
- Consider how many messages you send out.
- Act on every e-mail you open by deleting it, forwarding it, responding to it or filing it.
- Go without e-mail one day per week.
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts