IT Blogging Is One-Sided
Vendors embrace the concept, but users are slow to join in
Computerworld - Major IT vendors are encouraging employees to start blogs to reach out to users in new ways and help make the companies seem less impersonal. But so far, the blogging conversation is mostly one-sided.
As yet, there aren't many IT managers blogging about big-picture technology issues, based on interviews with vendors and Internet searches conducted by Computerworld.
"Clearly, vendors have much stronger pressure on them to have a relationship with the world," said Tim Bray, director of Web technologies at Sun Microsystems Inc. But CIO blogs would get instant attention from vendors, Bray added. "If a few of those guys started doing that, you can darn well bet that we would be reading them. I sure would," he said.
Among the IT managers who do blog is Alex Scoble, who heads IT at Palo Alto, Calif.-based law firm Tomlinson Zisko LLP. Scoble said last week that he blogs mostly about technical issues, seeking product recommendations from other users and even writing about customer support snafus.
The blog, which he started about 18 months ago, has served as a good way to record his work and solicit advice, Scoble said. There's also some personal satisfaction involved. "If I can help a couple of people with experiences that I've had, that's great," he said.
And Scoble sees professional benefits to writing a blog as well. It puts his IT knowledge and experience "out there," he noted. "It tells prospective employers what you know."
Scoble may be more comfortable with blogging than are most IT managers partly because of the efforts of his well-known blogging brother, Robert Scoble, who is an employee at Microsoft Corp.
Robert Scoble writes a blog called "Scobleizer: Microsoft Geek Blogger" that's ranked No. 31 on the list of the 100 most-linked blogs compiled by Technorati Inc.'s blog-tracking search engine.
Christopher Sloop, chief technology officer at AWS Convergence Technologies Inc.
But he added that it's difficult to find the time to work on the blog. That may also be an issue for other IT managers, Sloop said. Blogging by users "may occur more on a customer support level or a programmer level," he said.
Among major vendors, IBM this month detailed a policy that encourages its 320,000 employees to blog. IBM isn't prohibiting workers from blogging about the company but said they should include
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to...