Coming: Sensors and Pixels Everywhere
Businesses and customers will share these ears and eyes.
Computerworld - Anatole Gershman
Title: Global director of research
Company: Accenture Technology Laboratories, the Chicago-based technology research and development unit of Accenture Ltd.
Anatole Gershman, global director of research at Accenture Technology Laboratories
What are the three main trends that will be driving business applications over the next three to five years? If you look three to five years out, the underlying technology trends that ... will continue to drive innovation are:
1. The rise of intelligent sensor networks.
2. The rise of scalable intelligence techniques -- all the techniques that can analyze the data that is coming from all the sensors and could lead to useful business insight.
3. The rise of technology that enables you to be and act "there" from a distance and cope with lots of information, and it will be driven by pixels. We're going to have very inexpensive pixels everywhere -- we see it in cell phones.
Those are technologies that enable us to sense -- intelligent sensor networks; to think -- technologies that enable our systems to think, which is scalable intelligence; and technologies that enable us to act on all this intelligence.
The Online Wardrobe uses sensors, tagging and tracking technologies to keep track of the clothing you already own and helps you buy coordinating items, either online or in physical stores.
How will Reality Online do that? Let's take an example of shopping for groceries. Supermarkets already collect a lot of information about their customers, using loyalty cards and checkout information, but they don't do much with that information today. And the customers don't get much benefit from this information.
Although some supermarkets are already experimenting with smart shopping carts, they don't do much with them except to show customers some advertising and, in some stores, customers can use those carts as self-checkouts. A smart shopping cart is a cart with a little screen attached to it and
- Whitepaper: Configure or Customize? In this paper, we examine the high cost of making and supporting customizations to client/server-based applications as well as the differences between configuration...
- Forrester Report: The ROI of Software as a Service Read Forrester's review of 11 vendors in SaaS enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), and supply chain management (SCM).
- Patient Portals: A Platform for Connecting Communities of Care Connecting patient health data across the care continuum is essential to achieve improved care, increased access to personal health records and lowered costs.
- 3 Ways Clinicians Can Leverage a Patient Portal to Craft a Healthcare Community With a bevy of vendors offering patient portal solutions, it can be challenging for a hospital to know where to start. Fortunately, YourCareCommunity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All CRM White Papers | Webcasts