Sidebar: Get on the bus: More information about enterprise service bus technology.
Computerworld - The following are sources of additional information about enterprise service bus technology.
Enterprise Service Bus, by David Chappell (O'Reilly Media Inc., 2004; 247 pages, paperback, $39.95). This is a good place to start if you want a basic-and-beyond understanding of ESBs. The author provides a foundation-level introduction to ESB technology, including plenty of context about the nascent ESB market and the state of enterprise application integration in general. The book also provides enough granular detail, practical advice and case studies to make it worth the time of IT professionals who are already familiar with ESB technology. Chappell works for ESB vendor Sonic Software Inc. as its technology evangelist, but his book is relatively slant-free and is the best comprehensive treatment of the topic we've seen.
Resources on the Web
Here are a few of the best of the abundant information resources available online.
"Best of Breed ESBs" (download PDF) by Steve Craggs, vice chairman, Integration Consortium
Rather than ranking products in this white paper, Craggs outlines the crucial features he (and users) should be looking for in ESBs.
Computerworld, Nov. 3, 2003
Connie Winkler provides an early look at ESBs and some of the first corporate passengers on the enterprise service bus.
Computerworld, March 1, 2004
Russell Kay offers a primer on how all service-oriented architectures work. He includes ESBs as a subset of SOAs and notes that both concepts have been around long before the recent hype about them. The article provides a foundation of information from which to judge new claims about the technologies.
This Web site bills itself as providing news, commentary, resources and services for planning, deploying and managing loosely coupled business process automation. A useful source of information about SOAs and ESBs.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts