Sidebar: Get on the bus: More information about enterprise service bus technology.
Computerworld - The following are sources of additional information about enterprise service bus technology.
Enterprise Service Bus, by David Chappell (O'Reilly Media Inc., 2004; 247 pages, paperback, $39.95). This is a good place to start if you want a basic-and-beyond understanding of ESBs. The author provides a foundation-level introduction to ESB technology, including plenty of context about the nascent ESB market and the state of enterprise application integration in general. The book also provides enough granular detail, practical advice and case studies to make it worth the time of IT professionals who are already familiar with ESB technology. Chappell works for ESB vendor Sonic Software Inc. as its technology evangelist, but his book is relatively slant-free and is the best comprehensive treatment of the topic we've seen.
Resources on the Web
Here are a few of the best of the abundant information resources available online.
"Best of Breed ESBs" (download PDF) by Steve Craggs, vice chairman, Integration Consortium
Rather than ranking products in this white paper, Craggs outlines the crucial features he (and users) should be looking for in ESBs.
Computerworld, Nov. 3, 2003
Connie Winkler provides an early look at ESBs and some of the first corporate passengers on the enterprise service bus.
Computerworld, March 1, 2004
Russell Kay offers a primer on how all service-oriented architectures work. He includes ESBs as a subset of SOAs and notes that both concepts have been around long before the recent hype about them. The article provides a foundation of information from which to judge new claims about the technologies.
This Web site bills itself as providing news, commentary, resources and services for planning, deploying and managing loosely coupled business process automation. A useful source of information about SOAs and ESBs.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts