Sidebar: Get on the bus: More information about enterprise service bus technology.
Computerworld - The following are sources of additional information about enterprise service bus technology.
Enterprise Service Bus, by David Chappell (O'Reilly Media Inc., 2004; 247 pages, paperback, $39.95). This is a good place to start if you want a basic-and-beyond understanding of ESBs. The author provides a foundation-level introduction to ESB technology, including plenty of context about the nascent ESB market and the state of enterprise application integration in general. The book also provides enough granular detail, practical advice and case studies to make it worth the time of IT professionals who are already familiar with ESB technology. Chappell works for ESB vendor Sonic Software Inc. as its technology evangelist, but his book is relatively slant-free and is the best comprehensive treatment of the topic we've seen.
Resources on the Web
Here are a few of the best of the abundant information resources available online.
"Best of Breed ESBs" (download PDF) by Steve Craggs, vice chairman, Integration Consortium
Rather than ranking products in this white paper, Craggs outlines the crucial features he (and users) should be looking for in ESBs.
Computerworld, Nov. 3, 2003
Connie Winkler provides an early look at ESBs and some of the first corporate passengers on the enterprise service bus.
Computerworld, March 1, 2004
Russell Kay offers a primer on how all service-oriented architectures work. He includes ESBs as a subset of SOAs and notes that both concepts have been around long before the recent hype about them. The article provides a foundation of information from which to judge new claims about the technologies.
This Web site bills itself as providing news, commentary, resources and services for planning, deploying and managing loosely coupled business process automation. A useful source of information about SOAs and ESBs.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts