Novell snaps up Linux security company
Purchase of Immunix will boost product offerings, company says
IDG News Service - Linux vendor Novell Inc. has acquired Immunix Inc., a security software vendor in Portland, Ore. The 15-person company was bought last week, but terms of the deal aren't being released, according to Novell.
Immunix was founded in 1998, in part with money from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, to develop security software for Linux. It's best known for developing much of the Linux Security Modules software that's used in the Linux 2.6 kernel, a key component of the Linux operating system.
By acquiring the company, Novell hopes to strengthen its security product offerings, said Charlie Ungashick, a director of product marketing at Novell. "Security is becoming a really hot topic, particularly around Linux," he said.
Immunix sells software called AppArmor that can be used to secure Linux-based applications by limiting how they can interact with hardware within the computer.
AppArmor is already designed to work with Novell's YAST (Yet Another Setup Tool) management software, making it a natural acquisition target, Ungashick said. Novell expects to begin selling AppArmor, which will be rebranded Novell AppArmor, within the week, he said.
The Immunix team will continue to operate out of its Portland offices, Ungashick said. Novell is based in Waltham, Mass.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Applications White Papers |