Novell snaps up Linux security company
Purchase of Immunix will boost product offerings, company says
IDG News Service - Linux vendor Novell Inc. has acquired Immunix Inc., a security software vendor in Portland, Ore. The 15-person company was bought last week, but terms of the deal aren't being released, according to Novell.
Immunix was founded in 1998, in part with money from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, to develop security software for Linux. It's best known for developing much of the Linux Security Modules software that's used in the Linux 2.6 kernel, a key component of the Linux operating system.
By acquiring the company, Novell hopes to strengthen its security product offerings, said Charlie Ungashick, a director of product marketing at Novell. "Security is becoming a really hot topic, particularly around Linux," he said.
Immunix sells software called AppArmor that can be used to secure Linux-based applications by limiting how they can interact with hardware within the computer.
AppArmor is already designed to work with Novell's YAST (Yet Another Setup Tool) management software, making it a natural acquisition target, Ungashick said. Novell expects to begin selling AppArmor, which will be rebranded Novell AppArmor, within the week, he said.
The Immunix team will continue to operate out of its Portland offices, Ungashick said. Novell is based in Waltham, Mass.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts