Network World - Symantec Corp. yesterday announced the third component of its e-mail security strategy, a hosting service that filters spam and viruses and controls compliance for companies.
Symantec Hosted Mail Security, starting at $1,710 per year for 50 users, complements the company's gateway software and gateway appliance. All three options provide the same virus protection, spam filtering and enforcement of corporate and regulatory compliance, allowing each company to decide which approach is the best fit, said Chris Miller, group product manager with Symantec.
"We're not forcing a solution down the customer's throat. They're picking whatever form factor is right for them," Miller said. While a number of messaging security vendors, including Proofpoint Inc. and CipherTrust Inc., offer both software and appliances to combat e-mail abuses, Symantec is unique in making all three approaches available and in maintaining a consistent set of features and functions across the three options, he said.
Companies that subscribe to Symantec's new service would reroute their incoming and outgoing mail to pass through one of the company's hosting centers, where messages are scanned before being sent on to the enterprise or out to the Internet. This eliminates the need for dedicated hardware and software, and related management, on a company's network. A Web-based management console lets administrators set e-mail policies and run reports.
The service does not scan messages sent across a company's internal network, although Symantec offers other products that perform the same tasks at the mail server level, Miller said.
Symantec's Hosted Mail Security performs policy-based filtering of messages and attachments to ensure sensitive information isn't leaving the company via e-mail, allowing companies to enforce regulatory and corporate policies regarding content.
The service's antispam technology comes from Brightmail, which Symantec acquired last year. The antivirus component is Symantec's own technology.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Mitigating Security Risks at the Networks Edge This white paper provides strategies and best practices for distributed enterprises to protect their networks against vulnerabilities, threats, and malicious attacks.
- 5 Strategies for Modern Data Protection Read the five strategies for modern data protection that will not only help solve your current data management challenges but also ensure that...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!