DOJ renews WordPerfect deal
The five-year agreement is worth up to $13.2M
IDG News Service - The U.S. Department of Justice has inked another deal with Microsoft Corp. competitor Corel Corp. for more than 50,000 licenses of Corel's WordPerfect office suite, Corel announced yesterday. The five-year agreement is worth up to $13.2 million.
The DOJ, which sued Microsoft in a monopoly-busting case that started in the mid-1990s, was already using WordPerfect before yesterday's announcement. But Corel trumpeted the new deployment of WordPerfect Office 12 as reaffirming the software suite's No. 2 position in the market, "despite hype around open-source solutions," which includes OpenOffice.org.
The DOJ had previously signed a deal for 35,000 copies of WordPerfect in 1999, according to Corel spokesman Mike Kaplan.
In a statement, the company said WordPerfect Office 12's installed base is growing by about 1 million users per quarter because of the flexible licensing agreements Corel offers. Each license provides a user with home and laptop privileges, giving employees licensed to use WordPerfect Office 12 at work the ability to use the same copy nonconcurrently at home or on their laptops.
The DOJ decided to buy WordPerfect again largely because it remains the "tool of choice for the legal arena," said Mary Aileen O'Donovan, program manager for the DOJ's Justice Management division. "We do what our customers require."
The department also uses Microsoft Office software for external communications with people outside the legal profession, she said. O'Donovan praised Corel for understanding the DOJ's enterprise needs and for its licensing flexibility.
Corel, based in Ottawa, is a private company and doesn't disclose sales figures. The company reports that WordPerfect Office 12 has more than 20 million customers worldwide. In the first quarter of its 2005 fiscal year, Microsoft reported revenue of $2.56 billion in its Information Worker group, which includes its Office products.
WordPerfect Office 12 is compatible with popular file formats, including Microsoft Office, PDF, HTML and XML, and allows customers to share files created in WordPerfect Office with users of other office productivity tools.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts