Think Tank: Get Back in Touch With Your Inner Geek
Brain Food for IT Executives
Computerworld - Get Back in Touch With Your Inner Geek
Are you getting a little out of touch with new technologies? "It's too easy [for CIOs] to lose direct contact with technology, and the judgment of internal and external experts is not always sufficient," says a team of Gartner Inc. analysts. "To understand some technologies demands personal experience," they say in a bulletin about must-do resolutions for the CIO. Gartner urges CIOs to get hands-on experience or see a live demonstration of the following technologies by mid-2005:
Networked gaming (think Xbox), to "learn how your next generation of employees is being 'wired.' "
A business process diagramming tool and a Business Process Execution Language orchestration server.
A wiki, which is a server program that lets users collaborate when writing Web content, to "see the power of simplicity and transparency in collaboration, open-source style."
A sleek Nokia 7280 cell phone, a product that combines aesthetic design with high-tech engineering.
The voice-over-IP service from Skype Technologies SA, to "see an example of why business colleagues might start to demand VoIP."
An electronic marketplace like www.innovationfutures.com or www.biz.uiowa.edu/iem.
Image Credit: Newscom
An advanced robot like Sony Corp.'s Qrio, which can walk, dance and run.
The most useful parts of recent business and IT management books.
First, a plea to book authors: Can we dispense with the phrase "IT is at a crossroads," which shows up in almost every IT management book these days? IT management is always at a crossroads, at the corner of Success and Failure.
Fortunately, this book has some fresh ideas about how IT leaders can reinvent the IT function as something more than just managing PCs, servers and storage, which is the path to becoming a replaceable utility. Arussy, focusing on the middle word in the title "chief information officer," says CIOs "must become responsible for a product, and that product is information." He says IT will have to act like a business, customize the information product for different segments of customers (end users) and work to increase "information utilization" among users who have the biggest impact on building the business.
Things to Ponder
Will instant messaging surpass e-mail as the preferred form of business communication? Sage Research Inc. in Natick, Mass., asked 96 IT decision-makers in U.S. businesses, and 41% of the respondents said it'll never happen. But 12% said it will happen within the next year, and 23% predicted within the next three years.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....