Think Tank: Get Back in Touch With Your Inner Geek
Brain Food for IT Executives
Computerworld - Get Back in Touch With Your Inner Geek
Are you getting a little out of touch with new technologies? "It's too easy [for CIOs] to lose direct contact with technology, and the judgment of internal and external experts is not always sufficient," says a team of Gartner Inc. analysts. "To understand some technologies demands personal experience," they say in a bulletin about must-do resolutions for the CIO. Gartner urges CIOs to get hands-on experience or see a live demonstration of the following technologies by mid-2005:
Networked gaming (think Xbox), to "learn how your next generation of employees is being 'wired.' "
A business process diagramming tool and a Business Process Execution Language orchestration server.
A wiki, which is a server program that lets users collaborate when writing Web content, to "see the power of simplicity and transparency in collaboration, open-source style."
A sleek Nokia 7280 cell phone, a product that combines aesthetic design with high-tech engineering.
The voice-over-IP service from Skype Technologies SA, to "see an example of why business colleagues might start to demand VoIP."
An electronic marketplace like www.innovationfutures.com or www.biz.uiowa.edu/iem.
Image Credit: Newscom
An advanced robot like Sony Corp.'s Qrio, which can walk, dance and run.
The most useful parts of recent business and IT management books.
First, a plea to book authors: Can we dispense with the phrase "IT is at a crossroads," which shows up in almost every IT management book these days? IT management is always at a crossroads, at the corner of Success and Failure.
Fortunately, this book has some fresh ideas about how IT leaders can reinvent the IT function as something more than just managing PCs, servers and storage, which is the path to becoming a replaceable utility. Arussy, focusing on the middle word in the title "chief information officer," says CIOs "must become responsible for a product, and that product is information." He says IT will have to act like a business, customize the information product for different segments of customers (end users) and work to increase "information utilization" among users who have the biggest impact on building the business.
Things to Ponder
Will instant messaging surpass e-mail as the preferred form of business communication? Sage Research Inc. in Natick, Mass., asked 96 IT decision-makers in U.S. businesses, and 41% of the respondents said it'll never happen. But 12% said it will happen within the next year, and 23% predicted within the next three years.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT...