IT Careers Topic Center
IT careers news, in-depth articles and more
U.S. civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson has called on Twitter to release its employee diversity information, which its Silicon Valley peers such as Google, Yahoo, LinkedIn and Facebook have already done.
Two days after Hewlett-Packard said its chairman had resigned due to ill health, the company has named a replacement: President and CEO Meg Whitman.
Microsoft's planned 18,000 job cuts, or 14% of its workforce, is the biggest tech layoff announced this year, surpassing Hewlett-Packard's announcement in May that it was cutting 16,000 jobs.
Microsoft announced Thursday morning that it will cut its workforce by up to 18,000 jobs, or 14 percent, in the next year, as part of a broad effort to streamline the company in the wake of its acquisition of phone-maker Nokia.
Microsoft announced this morning that it will cut its workforce by up to 18,000 jobs in the next year.
Chinese authorities have so far found no underage workers at a local Samsung Electronics supplier accused of using 'child labor,' but have started a campaign to crack down on the illegal activity.
Microsoft reportedly will announce the biggest round of layoffs in its history on Thursday as massive changes wrought by new CEO Satya Nadella start to take hold at the struggling IT giant.
Software developers may find more employers using customized bonuses to attract and retain them as the job market for their skills stays competitive, according to a salary survey from IT job site Dice.
Ralph Whitworth, who'd been chairman of Hewlett-Packard for just over a year, is resigning from his job for health reasons, HP said on Tuesday.
IT management positions generally pay quite well, but a new survey finds that so do a lot of other IT jobs.
It's up to each one of us to figure out what in the daily surge of data is useful, what's crap and what's truly valuable.
For most people, summer's the perfect time to relax, take a vacation and operate at a more leisurely pace than during the rest of the year. But if you're a job-seeker, you can't afford to put your search on the back burner. Instead, use the slower pace and longer days to your advantage.
Today an enterprise system must engage the workforce the same way Twitter, Facebook, Google and a galaxy of apps have engaged the masses. That means the next system we deploy cannot be the result of a traditional negotiation between business analysts and technologists. It must come from the same place as those consumer apps and Internet successes: the nexus of fast-paced, multi-disciplinary and human-focused development that doesn't look or act at all like the people or processes that created the systems of the last 30 years.
Do you remember when you were first assigned a leadership role? It's an exciting adventure, filled with anticipation, anxiousness, fear of the unknown and an overwhelming need to ensure you're ready to take on one of the greatest responsibilities of a career.
In these lean times, backups aren't what they used to be; it's inevitable that IT staffers will be called to help, especially when an important issue is brewing.
According to research conducted by labor market analytics and consulting firm Burning Glass , the future is looking bright, or brighter, for college students majoring in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) -- especially if they are looking to go into healthcare, IT or engineering & advanced manufacturing. Indeed, according to Burning Glass's findings, STEM graduates have access to twice as many entry-level jobs as non-STEM graduates -- and the pay is better too, $66,123 compared to $52,299.
Many CIOs have wrestled with stitching together an integrated technology platform after a corporate merger. But Robert Logan, CIO of Leidos, faced an altogether different scenario: creating the platforms, data and applications needed for two big companies born from the splitting of an even bigger company. Logan's company was born from SAIC, a major government contractor that bifurcated in August 2013 into Leidos and a smaller SAIC -- a strategic move driven by changes in the federal services marketplace.
Premier 100 IT Leader William Mayo also answers questions on combining international teams and the skills needed to become a CIO.
In theory, the concept of "work-life balance" seems to make sense a splitting your days and weeks between a collaborative and connected working life while also enjoying personal activities and leisure time with friends, family, pursuing hobbies, exercise or just watching TV.
Almost 90 percent of U.S. CIOs and about 70 percent of U.S. hiring managers plan to hire IT professionals in the second half of 2014, according to separate research reports from Robert Half Technology and Dice.com, respectively. That adds up to great news for the IT industry and for tech pros looking to land a new job, but hiring companies must adapt to upward pressure on salaries and stem high turnover rates.
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide
- Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery
- Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery
- Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets
- Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014
- Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to... All IT Careers White Papers
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- All IT Careers Webcasts