Technology vendors and data center suppliers were also invited to participate in Computerworld's search for the Top Green-IT Organizations. These companies completed the same survey as the end user organizations and were judged on the same criteria -- most notably, on their IT departments' efforts to reduce energy consumption in their IT equipment, and to use technology to conserve energy and lower carbon emissions. Here are the top 12, in ranked order:
1. Fujitsu Ltd., Tokyo, Japan
2. Hewlett-Packard Co., Palo Alto, Calif.
3. Accenture, Chicago
4. Microsoft Corp., Redmond, Wash.
5. Qualcomm Inc., San Diego
6. IBM, Somers, N.Y.
7. Intel Corp., Santa Clara, Calif.
8. BT Group, London
9. SAP AG, Walldorf, Germany
10. Internap Network Services, Atlanta
11. Dell Inc., Austin
12. Avnet Inc., Phoenix