July 28, 2009 (PC World)
Since 1968, when a designer at Xerox PARC conceived of the first prototype notebook -- the Dynabook -- the computer industry has witnessed a breathtaking succession of innovations in mobile computing. This year, for the first time, laptops sales will exceed desktop sales, according to market research firm iSuppli.
In this slideshow we look back at the biggest technology breakthroughs in the evolution of laptop computers since geeks first dreamed of taking their beloved desktops with them wherever they wanted to go.
Also see: Don't miss these other PC World slideshows focusing on laptops and desktop PCs:
- The Laptop in 2015: Not Your Daddy's Notebook
- Laptops With Epic Battery Life Keep You Working
- 10 Must-Have Netbooks, from Super Expensive to Bargain Basement
- Evolution of the PC
- The Computer Hardware Hall of Fame
- World's Most Outrageous PC Cases
Reprinted with permission from
For more PC news, visit PCWorld.com
Story copyright 2009 PC World Communications. All rights reserved.